off flavors develop in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierandbikes

Reaction score
I am getting a bit frustrated. My last few batches have been phenomenal when I open the first bottle, but the second is fair and the third is OFF. I made a hefe weizen and the first bottle was perfect. But after another week they all had such a terrible solvent like, hot fusel alcohol type flavor I am dumping them. I just brewed a saison and the first bottle was incredible. Maybe the best yet. I just opened another and it has the same off flavor as the weizen.

After bottling the saison, I noticed some potential "growth" in the tubing from my siphon. I am concerned that I have contaminated the entire batch when racking and it just takes about 3-4 weeks to ruin the beer. Anybody else have this problem? I tossed the tubing and will replace before my next batch.

I always soak everything in sanitizer (Star San) and let it sit in the bottling bucket. I have been using the Vinator for washing bottles rather than soaking them in Star San. The problem came about the same time that I switched but cannot recall if that was the start of the problem.

Anybody else had this problem? Please help!

If you are noticing the same thing happening to multiple batches, and the siphon has a growth then you definitely have an infection. It just may be taking the additional time to carb to actually take hold. I would drink every bottle that you can as fast as you can before they set in. If when you clean your siphon you see water spots that are on the inside and not going away, then your siphon is not clean. It is a film that is covering bacteria, and protecting it. At least you have identified the problem.

Bacteria take time to grow, it's likely the first bottle didn't have much growth, subsequent ones did.

I'd toss the tubing and siphon, they're cheaply replaced.

Back