Off flavors at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozymandias88

Reaction score
This is my first batch, an extract honey wheat kit from northern brewer. Fermentation seemed to go well, no obvious infection or off smells. I bottled today, and avoided tasting because I know that it should taste better after bottle conditioning.

The batch smelled great, and looked great, and I had probably 6 oz left at the end, not enough to justify another bottle so I decided to taste.

I would describe the taste as dry, maybe astringent, sort of reminds me of awful wine, definitely not something good. Will this go away with conditioning, or is it just because I drank the junk at the bottom?

I've been avoiding making a noob post like this. I was confident in my sanitation, temperatures, and patience, but this taste has me worried.

beers definitely get better with age in the bottles, I've had a few batches that were pretty funky at bottling time and they turned out to be some of my best batches. Hope your batch has the same results.

I once did a belgian dubbel that smelled like a rotten sewer at bottling time, swmbo almost threw up, after 3 weeks in the bottles it was a truly awesome tasting beer, lol.

rdwhahb. if you were up on your sanitation, you'll be fine. what you're tasting is super super green beer.

You should be fine...I stopped going out of my way tp taste my beers at bottling time because of this..they always seem to taste weak-bodied, and just generally not that great, but of course there is no reason to waste left over booze. Magic truly happens in the bottles.

Back