Off flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
I was stoked recently when everything went "perfectly" with the brewing of a Wee Heavy type Scotch ale. Ph, OG, and FG all exactly matched the software(Bru N' Water and BeerSmith). Unfortunately, I botched everything with a mistake in setting my fermentation controller to the wrong temp, and the beer reached 70 degrees while fermenting(for about 24 hours). The finished beer appears to have a off flavor, but I'm not sure. Any way of saving it, or should I just forget it. I've heard that kreusening with some wort and fermenting beer can help? Is what I'm tasting probably diacetyl? Here are some specs: OG:1.098, FG:1.022, Wyeast #1728 pitched from a very healthy starter. Thanks in advance. Also, I'm aware there are other threads like this.

Too early to write it off, give it a full 2 weeks (warm/room temp) and several days cold (bottling) before trying and I bet it'll be fine. The one time I had a mild off flavor was when I tried a bottled beer too early. Left it another week was fantastic.

I'd be surprised if diacetyl was the off flavor as higher temps make yeast eat those, but esters get thrown aplenty at higher temps. But WY1728 has a range up to 75°F.

That strain gets funky in the 70s. An odd fruity funky Brett kind of ester. I had a batch years ago where the temp got away from me (i normally keep that strain pinned cold, 59-60).

Especially in a big one.

Back