Off flavor question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexfit115

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of blond ale from a can added a extra lb of light dme and had a starting gravity of 1.065. I fermented it for a week till my gravity was at 1.010. I bottled it and waited two weeks, i noticed that it had a noticeable cidery taste what could have gone wrong? Thank for the input!

You must've added more fermentables than a can of LME & a pound of DME to get 1.065 on the OG. But the cidery flavor most times is from high initial ferment temps. And can also be caused by using too much added table sugar in the recipe.

It was in a 2 gallon fermenter and I pitched at around 78 degrees, and stayed at 70 to 72 degrees. I also noticed it took forever to come down to the 70 degree mark.

Ah,that explains it on both counts. Always chill down to 64-70F on ales,unless you have good temp control. Or are using an ale yeast that can produce lager-like qualities at lower temps. I chill down to the 64-70F range,it's better for the initial fermentation stage.

Ah,that explains it on both counts. Always chill down to 64-70F on ales,unless you have good temp control. Or are using an ale yeast that can produce lager-like qualities at lower temps. I chill down to the 64-70F range,it's better for the initial fermentation stage.

^ what he said

Also, the beer is still quite young. Give it more time and you might see a vast improvement in the flavor. Young beer often has a fair amount of acetaldehyde, which gives a green apple flavor. With time, it tends to condition out. I believe more is produced at higher fermentation temps too - as are fruity esters.

Back