Off flavor on the finish??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fliptender28

Reaction score
I just cracked the bottle on my first batch. brewed on 12-31 Its a fat tire clone that I left in the primary for 2 weeks. bottled on 1-14. At first I get a good flavor, but the aftertaste is off. A bit sour and musty. Its not terrible. Its just not right. Any thoughts jump out??

A lot of folks here leave in primary for 3 or more weeks and bottle condition for 2 or more. I'd say give it time to mellow and condition more. Try one in another week and see how it is.

Sounds like the off flavor I got on my first brew. The longer it sat in the bottles- the worse the flavors got. It was a harsh ammonia like taste that went into my sinus. This was done last August. I'm pretty sure it was due to fermenting at high temp. I still have a few left- I think I'll try one tonight.

At two weeks it's likely just too early to drink. I've found that at 5 weeks, my beers are very good and at 8 weeks they're awesome. Just give it some more time.

DME: Dehydrated Malt Extract
LME: Liquid Malt Extract

I can only think of one other off the top of my head...
LHBS: Local Home Brew Store

Back