Off Flavor Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewDLW3

Reaction score
I have a kolsch I brewed the clarity, taste and mouth feel is awesome. However I do have an off flavor in it. It tastes kinda like a metallic/sanitizer like flavor, right as it hits the tongue then disappears. It kinda seems like you get more of the off flavor in the foam but its still in the beer. I had a rye iPa one time taste like this but was a very strong flavor. Had to dump that whole batch. I am just trying to narrow down what could cause this. Is it to much star San when I bottle left in the bottles, is it a type of grain I use, or is it something in my process. Thanks any ideas are appreciated.

Are you using tap water, and do you treat for chlorine or chlorimine?
How is your fermentation? Temp controlled?

I used bottled spring water with little bit of tap water, which is from a well on my property. Fermentation was room temp throughout 65-67 F . I have recently moved so I haven't got my fermentation fridge setup/in yet. I taste the wort at ever stage and I didn't tast this flavor until carbed in the bottle. Now that I am reading a bit it could have been a little high in Ph and temp at sparging. But I didn't taste anything off in it.

Back