Off Flavor After Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIBrewer83

Reaction score
So, I've been brewing for many years (8+) and it seems that I still can't figure out this off flavor that keeps rearing it's head. I brew recirculating eBIAB, plate chill and ferment in a SSBrewTech heated/cooled conical. I always hit my mash and fermenting temps as expected. I almost always hit my OG and beat my FG targets. I keg and have a 3 tap setup with glycol cooled lines. So, my process and equipment is pretty solid. As far as sanitation goes, I use StarSan for everything. I clean my beer lines every 2 months or so.

What typically happens is, at kegging time, I try the beer and it is usually GREAT. Exactly what I was expecting. I break down the kegs, clean with PBW, rinse, then sanitize and re-assemble. Usually after about 1-2 weeks on tap, the off flavor comes in and basically turns the beer into something completely different. Weird thing is, no matter what style, they turn to a similar off taste. I wish I could tell you what it was...I've looked at the off flavor charts and it's hard to tell which it is. (I know, not much help)

So, my question is....is there a typical thing that causes delayed off flavors like this? Oxidation? I'm very careful when racking from conical to keg, but within the line, I can see little bubbles in the clear tubing as I rack using gravity. Could this be the cause?

It's getting pretty frustrating. Also, seems it mainly happens for pale ales and IPAs. When I make stouts or cider, this doesn't happen. Which makes me believe my process for cleaning kegs and such is fine. One other thing is, for pale ales and IPAs, I filter through a canister filter with a 1 micron filter....could this be the cause? I push it from 1 keg to another using CO2.

Any help would be much appreciated!

The bubbles in the line could be CO2 coming out of solution. I suspect it is oxidation during the keg fill that is noticeable for the lighter and hoppier beers. Purge the keg with CO2 and let the beer push the CO2 out as it fills for your next beer.

So, I've been brewing for many years (8+) and it seems that I still can't figure out this off flavor that keeps rearing it's head. I brew recirculating eBIAB, plate chill and ferment in a SSBrewTech heated/cooled conical. I always hit my mash and fermenting temps as expected. I almost always hit my OG and beat my FG targets. I keg and have a 3 tap setup with glycol cooled lines. So, my process and equipment is pretty solid. As far as sanitation goes, I use StarSan for everything. I clean my beer lines every 2 months or so.

What typically happens is, at kegging time, I try the beer and it is usually GREAT. Exactly what I was expecting. I break down the kegs, clean with PBW, rinse, then sanitize and re-assemble. Usually after about 1-2 weeks on tap, the off flavor comes in and basically turns the beer into something completely different. Weird thing is, no matter what style, they turn to a similar off taste. I wish I could tell you what it was...I've looked at the off flavor charts and it's hard to tell which it is. (I know, not much help)

So, my question is....is there a typical thing that causes delayed off flavors like this? Oxidation? I'm very careful when racking from conical to keg, but within the line, I can see little bubbles in the clear tubing as I rack using gravity. Could this be the cause?

It's getting pretty frustrating. Also, seems it mainly happens for pale ales and IPAs. When I make stouts or cider, this doesn't happen. Which makes me believe my process for cleaning kegs and such is fine. One other thing is, for pale ales and IPAs, I filter through a canister filter with a 1 micron filter....could this be the cause? I push it from 1 keg to another using CO2.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Yes, it's called maturation. You're kegging and probably used to drinking immature beers. All beers change with time and the pale ales and IPA's change early. Porters and stouts take much longer, up to 6 months for a stout. You haven't noticed it in your dark beers because you drink them before they have a chance to mature.

I'd second the maturation point. I brew a lot of Bitter at 1.044 and I find that I like the flavor best at about 1.5-3 weeks in the keg.. From there, the esters and malt mellow and while it's still very fine beer, the "lagering" of my bitter changes it.

Back