Off color to wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abisonego

Reaction score
I brewed an all-grain imperial ipa an plugged and chugged everything into beersmith and according to that i should have had around a 7-8 srm beer. Now after its been in the secondary for a couple weeks I took a good look at it in some better light and it turned out more like 15 with a general amber color to it. Could the color evolve over time to darken to that by way of some sort of infection or something not being right? I did pitch a second yeast about a week or two ago to help get the og down, could that affect it? This was my recipe:

17 lbs of 2 row
1 lb of Cara-pils
1 lb of White wheat malt

variety of hops
irish moss
2 wyeast packages of dennys favorite

thanks for the help!

It will be much lighter in a glass. The volume you're looking at in the fermenter makes it look much darker.

yeah actually i decided to just take the thief out and take a gravity reading anyway and it looked pretty normal. its strange how amber the color looks in the carboy!

also, since i have your attention, how practical is it to use 3-4 different types of hops in the same batch of beer? is it even beneficial to use that many or should i be sticking to 1-2 at a time?

Back