off aromas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
just racked my HMF-IPA to a corney after 6 weeks fermenting and noticed an off aroma that i can best descibe as sweet rubber (?). i know it doesnt normally smell like this. before i let it sit in a keg to carb up if anyone knows what smell im talking about please advise.

I've gotten some rubber notes from red wines that were aged on lees -- wine people like that kind of crap and call it "complexity" or some such BS.;)

Could it be more of a smoke or band-aid thing? If you get the same sense, only much more intensely in the burps, it's definitely chlorophenol.

Chloramines don't boil away. You have to use a carbon filter (slow, expensive) or Campden tablets (quick, cheap) to remove them (I use both:eek:).

Once you know the signature of chlorophenol, you start noticing it in commercial beers. I almost always pick up a trace in Lagunitas cask-conditioned ales.

Back