Odell Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A local place recently started carrying brews by Odell Brewing, of Ft Collins, CO.

I mentioned the 90 Shilling a while back, and I really enjoyed it, though it should probably be classified as a 70 Shilling.

I just cracked a bottle of the porter. It's not all that great - thin, watery, and way too heavy on the roasted malt - leaves a "burnt toast" flavor on your tongue.

Anybody else have any experience with this company? Brews to try? Avoid?

I love their 5 Barrel or 50 Barrel or whatever it is, let's call it "small batch" for kicks, Pale Ale...

Pretty good stuff IMO. Great hoppy flavor/aroma (I think its hop-backed), but still pretty well balanced and retaining some/most characteristics of a pale ale.

I believe it is 5 barrel pale ale, I like it a lot. I like 90 Schilling too, good all around beer. Their IPA is absolutely fantastic though, thats the one you want.

I liked all of them except the Isolation Ale, it had a kind of peanut or peanut butter undertone which I did not enjoy. The rest are pretty solid beers!

The Isolation is their winter seasonal. I enjoyed a 6er of the last batch - maybe you had a skunked bottle?

I REALLY, REALLY like the 5 Barrel Pale Ale! Before I started brewing again (less than a year ago), I was buying it all the time.

I've never seen their IPA, but seeing how it's my favorite style I'd love to give it a taste.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Their IPA is absolutely fantastic though, thats the one you want.
I found the IPA yesterday and had a couple last night. It wasn't bad - reminded me of Full Sail's IPA, though I think I like Full Sail's brew just a bit better. The Odell offering is certainly a drinkable, palatable IPA. Stone IPA and Dogfish Head 60 will remain my favorites, though.

Having the 5 Barrel Pale Ale now. Too much of a scotch nose for me, but the taste is mighty fine.

Yuri_Rage said:
Sipping the last of the Odell IPA. I like it better tonight for some reason. It reminds me A LOT of Dude's Lakewalk Pale. Quite enjoying it!
That's the way it was with me with their 5-barrel.

It took about 2-3 bottles to really grow on me...now I really enjoy it.

I can't quite nail down the hops they use though. I'd like to take a crack at brewing this one. If anyone comes accross a reputable clone...post up baby. :ban:

I've several Odell's 5 Barrels tonight and my opinion has changed. I don't know what was "up" my nose the other night when i thought it was too scotch like.

That's some fine beer. It does grow on you.

I had a chance to have Odell's Levity on nitrogen one time and it was great. I'm also a big fan of the 90 shilling (although I agree that it should be called 70 shilling) and the Easy Street Wheat is really nice in the summer.

I owe HarvInSTL a hearty thanks for bringing along some Odell's Extra Special Red to a recent brewing session. In the store I'd normally walk right past any beer labelled a red, but this stuff is amazing! It's more like an Imperial Red, with a big sweet maltiness and 50IBUs of hops for balance. It hides its 8%abv very well. It's delicious, and may eclipse the 5 Barrel as my favorite offering from Odell.

Grab it while you can, as it's a seasonal...

I was just out at Odell's a few days ago and can help a little on a 5 barrel clone (which I would really enjoy as well!). The bittering hops are centennial and the finishing are cascade. I believe they use progressively less alpha acids through the process as well. They have hop additions in the hopback and fermentor as well. I'm also working on a 90 schilling clone for my brother, which I think is going to be pretty close. I'll post the recipe here soon.

During Christmas I visited family in Ft. Collins and tried a couple of their brews. We also went to a tasting there. I liked the 90 Shilling but it didn't 'wow' me. I loved the Isolation Ale. It seemed that just about everybody was out of Isolation Ale (there was none for the tasting). We got a six-pack at a liquor store and they were out when we went back.

Their tour was only 20 minutes so we chose the 90-minute New Belgium Brewery tour (I had to choose one).

We live close to Odell's so we are frequent visitors to their tap room and have tried all of their beers. A couple I would suggest trying is:

St Lupulin their seasonal extra pale
Saboteur a bret barrel brown ale

I usually do not like brown ales but Saboteur has a slightly sour finish that makes the vanilla and pineapple flavors blend together well for me.

Able to taste the "Dark IPA" at the brewery yesterday. I liked it very much. More of a traditional IPA flavor than what I have tasted from the west coast. I wish you could get it in a growler/keg!

They just recently started distributing Odells in the Twin Cities and I've become really fond of them. Especially St. Lupulin. Plus, their bottles are great for reusing. The labels come off easily and they have those cool embossed leaves.

The guys at the brewery said the Dark IPA would be available at a few bars in MN, too. Not sure where though. Be on the lookout for Isolation Ale, their winter seasonal. It's top notch.

Back