- Mar 25, 2010
- Reaction score
Yeah, I would go for drier than 152º here. I went with about 154º, and it finished at 1.020. I'm sure the mash temp was far from the only factor, and it's the second highest finishing brew in my history, but it is supposed to be a dry stout after all. I imagine the flaked barley will help make up for any body lost to low mash temps, and it doesn't need any excess sweetness.
For what it's worth, I'm rebrewing this next and it's getting a 148º mash. But I'm far from an expert, so some salt may be required.
I have a habit of adding a degree to mash temps when I find a recipe as I typically find myself over attenuating... Mashed mine at 153 and for the first time in a while I actually UNDER attenuated. Hit 1.016, added more yeast with a starter, etc... four days later... 1.016. I would recommend 150-151 for this recipe instead of the 152 that's been going around. If you stop and think about it 152 really is a bit high for a dry stout like this. Next time I'll do 150 myself.
For what it's worth, I split my batch and did half English ale and half Irish ale yeast. There's really not a significant difference, but if I had to choose based on a sample from the primary, I'd pick the English which happens to be cheaper too as you can get it dry.
Nitro tends to make beers a bit sweeter so I think I'll just have to leave this on on CO2 when the time comes. Next time it'll be Nitro for sure though after I dial this one in a bit!
Thanks for the recipe!