Odd town/street name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to drive past Misty Rain way, I always thought it sounded like an adult film star.

Then the classic, Throckmorton Texas. It's only funny for a few people, but its really funny for those few.

Amish country out here in Pennsylvania, we've got a town called "Intercourse, PA".

We also used to get corrugated cardboard products delivered at work that were from "Monkey Island, OK"

Amish country out here in Pennsylvania, we've got a town called "Intercourse, PA".

We also used to get corrugated cardboard products delivered at work that were from "Monkey Island, OK"

Wife is from Lancaster, so yeah, heard about Intercourse from my first visit - and then there's Paradise, PA - you have to drive through Intercourse to get there...

Not a street or town per se, but there's a subdivision close that used to be called Morningwoods. The "S" would disappear quite regularly and last time I drove by it looked like they finally decided to quit replacing it and actually changed the sign to just Morningwood.

This little gem is in northern SC

upload_2018-6-12_9-41-38.png

Many odd town names here in Arkansas. My favorite is Toad Suck. It's probably a corruption of a French or Native American name, but no one knows for certain. Deer, Nail, Ink, Stamp, all seem pretty normal by comparison.

I know a developer who built a subdivision with about 20 streets. Every one of them was either a song title or lyric phrase from the Rolling Stones.

Hah...where I grew up, there was a development that went in called Strawberry Fields, and all the roads were Beatles references.

Last edited:
There is a Boring, MD and no not much happens there.
The Lancaster county PA towns mentioned above always crack me up because if you are in Blue Ball but you can’t quite make it to Intercourse you could always end up in Bird In Hand.

Portland is divided into North, South, East, West. If you live on the North side your street names begin with N. The South-East side begins with SE, etc. I live in Beaverton - the South-West side. We have a street named 'East'.

2018-06-13_11-24-50.jpg

Paris, Arkansas has, or perhaps had, a Klan Street. Apparently the KKK came to town in the twenties, built a meeting hall, and held a meeting to explain their purpose to the farmers, coal miners, and town folk. The locals listened quietly and respectfully, and later that night burned the hall to the ground. Nobody ever found the Klansmen. They renamed the street so that no one would forget what happens to pure evil in their town. I think this is true. I sure want it to be true.

Perhaps not odd names, but certainly odd pronunciations. A few town from Southern IL, and SE MO.

Advance- accent on the first syllable AD-vance

Vienna- long I, accent on first syllable VIE-anna

New Madrid - accent on first syllable - New MAD-drid

Cairo - said with a long A - CAY-row

Perhaps not odd names, but certainly odd pronunciations. A few town from Southern IL, and SE MO.

You forgot San Jose, IL (pronounced San Joes).

Utah has Tooele (too IL uh) and Monroe (MAHN row).

That's my mom's hometown!

How about places with ironic names? On I-80 in northern Nevada is a place called Independence Valley. There is an exit sign for Independence Valley with a small sign underneath stating “Prison area, do not pick up hitchhikers”.

Last edited:

Hey, my fellow Aloha-ian. You reminded me of our odd city. We are pretty odd just for our pronunciation alone. Everybody who is not from around here says the city name like the Hawaiian greeting.

The origin of the name Aloha is disputed. Some sources say it was named by Robert Caples, a railroad worker, but it is unknown why the name was chosen. In 1983 Joseph H. Buck claimed that his uncle, the first postmaster, Julius Buck, named the office "Aloah" after a small resort on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin. Supposedly the last two letters were transposed by the Post Office during the application process. The local pronunciation, however, has remained Ah-LO-wa rather than Ah-LO-ha.*

*Wiki page on Aloha, OR.

Well, in MO, don't forget:

Versailles - Vuhr-sails
Gravois Mills - Grav-oys Mills

My sister lived there for a long time, but the first time she asked someone how to get to Vuhr-sigh (i.e the French pronunciation), she didn't get far with the store clerk until the clerk realized she was trying to get to Vuhr-sails.

Well, in MO, don't forget:

Versailles - Vuhr-sails
Gravois Mills - Grav-oys Mills

My sister lived there for a long time, but the first time she asked someone how to get to Vuhr-sigh (i.e the French pronunciation), she didn't get far with the store clerk until the clerk realized she was trying to get to Vuhr-sails.

Ha! I grew up in St Louis. Gravois is a major street there. But we knew enough not to pronounce the S at the end. We said Grav-oy.

There is a Boring, MD and no not much happens there.
The Lancaster county PA towns mentioned above always crack me up because if you are in Blue Ball but you can’t quite make it to Intercourse you could always end up in Bird In Hand.

I've actually been to those places.

Only old rockers may get the reference, but over in the next town there is a street named Crimson King. (The old band reference is King Crimson).

Back