Odd Kegerator Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude3516

Reaction score
Currently I'm using an upright refrigerator/freezer combo to ferment in with a Johnson controller. I was planning on turning it into my kegerator after building a fermentation chamber, but then noticed something.

My corny kegs can fit into the top freezer if laid down. This has lead me to what some might call a deviant thought. Does anyone see any problems with bending the liquid dip tube on my kegs to the keg wall and dispensing from the kegs as they lay on their sides? I'd use a wedge of wood to get a slight 10 degree angle on them, and obviously keep the gas line aligned to the top most point.

The reason I'm considering it is because in this old fridge the cooling is set up in such a way that even as I ferment at 65 degress the freezer reaches and stays at 32 degrees and would just be too convenient to keep using as a 2 carboy fermenter.

So, am I just being a big dummy or is this something that could work?

I don't think it would be a problem. Obviously keep your CO2 tank upright.

Just make sure that when rotated to keep the dip tube submerged, that it does not put your gas in, under liquid........Check valves or not, I would think that might be the only problem, with a full keg.

Whelp, the local homebrew shop sells kegs that are 25 inches tall, so time to scour the internet for some shorter kegs. Any recommendations?

Hey guys, sorry to have abandoned the thread but work has been absolutely slamming me. So I ended up with a standard kegerator. I was able to get the kegs to fit and everything worked out beautifully... but it was just a pain in the ass to deal with. Thanks for all the tips!

Back