Odd gravity readings in all extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stdean

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing my fifth all extract ale and I got a very low OG considering the amount of fermentables added.

20L brew
1.7kg Blackrock Pale Ale kit
1.5kg extra light LME
500g extra light DME

I expected something in the region of 1.050 but my hydrometer only read 1.036.

DME was added to approx 10L and was boiled for 1hr. Remaining extract was added with about 15 mins remaining. I then added to the fermenter and topped off to 20L. I let it cool to 20degrees before checking the gravity and pitching.

I calibrated my hydrometer and did not find anything wrong. The only thing I can imagine is I might not have mixed the boiled wort with the additional water enough and the malt might have just sunk to the bottom of my fermenter.

Have I screwed up some how? Am I going to end up with an ale that's almost non-alcoholic?

The OG should be 1.059, entering your numbers into this calculator.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/extract-ogfg/
To get an actual OG of 1.036 you would have had to error with the amount of top off water. The fermentor would need to be filled to 32 liters for an SG of 1.036.

The yeast will take care of mixing the wort evenly when activity begins.

It probably didn't mix. Don't worry, the yeast will find the sugars.

You got it right, water didn't mix and the wort just sunk to the bottom. If your batch size and extract additions were correct, your gravity will be correct. Yeast and fermentation will mix everything up for you, so there's no need to do anything. Just let it ferment and you'll be good to go.

Phew, was worried I'd ruined this batch.

It's my second time with this particular recipe and I was very pleased with it last time round. Was not looking forward to a 2.4% pale ale :-/

Latest posts

Back