Odd corny lid configuration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wapitiscat

Reaction score
This lid came on a pin lock corny I ordered from AIH (I think) and I wanted to see if the HBT collective could help me figure out the purpose of the odd (to me at least) configuration. Any ideas?

EDIT - One thought I had was that it was a point of attachment for a split ring that would serve as a pull handle to aid with keeping the lid "in plane" when securing the lid.

Todd

IMG_20170330_073412632.jpg

It looks odd to my eye in that it appears virtually round instead of oval....... But more interesting is the fact that it is obviously designed to be padlocked. The solid post where a pressure relief should be is a bit of a mystery though. I would call it a tamper resistant keg from the era of the Tylenol scare. One could of course introduce things via the ball lock fittings, but not by simply flipping the lock and dropping LSD or something in the keg.

H.W.

The old Coke kegs that I have have the "locking" part as well. I always figured that they shipped with information on contents stuck on this section.

Is it just me or does the blow off valve section look like it may have been modified? Are there actual internal parts to the post or is it just a solid piece?

Is it just me or does the blow off valve section look like it may have been modified? Are there actual internal parts to the post or is it just a solid piece?

It's a solid post as far as I can tell. Here's a look at the underside.

Todd

IMG_20170330_073424396.jpg

the "odd" post is for a cover that went down over the plugs, then a seal went thru the hole.

the covers were removed from most kegs when they came out with the plastic caps to seal the product and kegs.

I have an intact top on one of my kegs.

The little smiley's are shear points for pressure relief.

Thanks for the insight Dr. J. I've since seen similar "odd" posts on kegs at my LHBS. Now I can stand on your historical revelation and impress folks with this bit of info.

Todd

Back