Odd Black Hue in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I've got a Vienna/tettnanger smash in secondary and it has this odd black hue to it, isolated to the top couple inches. I've never fermented in carboys before, so I'm not sure if this is just an optical illusion? I used kolsh yeast which still has a tendency to not flocculate so well, from my research. So I chose to secondary after about 4 weeks in primary. In the secondary vessel, it seemed as though after appeared to clear with flocculation this dichotomy appeared where the top couple inches appear much darker than the rest of the carboy. Any thoughts?

Never attached a picture before, hopefully this works. I'm not sure if this picture does the phenomena justice either, but this is what I'm seeing.

Cheers

image.jpg

Beer clears from the top down, so the top will look much darker as the yeast drops out. It will look very dark in the carboy, but if you pull out a sample, it'll be much lighter in the glass.

Thanks for the feedback Yooper. I wondered if that was the case. Although its darker still than what I'd expect, I assume that's just because its radically more clear than below it, and below the light is refracting off particles in suspension, giving it a lighter look.

Back