Odd batch, I doubt infection, but maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IVeladRiENtArtHeMaNaRMiTh

Cider House Rules
Reaction score
I never usually let a brew sit long, but I just went to bottle a batch from 6 months ago. I didn't notice a small crack in the topmof my fermenter, airlock ran nearly dry (had a few fruit flies in the juice). Opened it up and everything smelled fine, tasted a little extra hoppy (this is an Irish Stout)

Had this on the surface, which is obviously hydrophobic, which I think would be weird for a yeast raft. The bottom was pretty slimy, not what I'm used to.

Any thoughts?

20220620_161117.jpg

I never usually let a brew sit long, but I just went to bottle a batch from 6 months ago. I didn't notice a small crack in the topmof my fermenter, airlock ran nearly dry (had a few fruit flies in the juice). Opened it up and everything smelled fine, tasted a little extra hoppy (this is an Irish Stout)

Had this on the surface, which is obviously hydrophobic, which I think would be weird for a yeast raft. The bottom was pretty slimy, not what I'm used to.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 772642
You gots se brettz!

Bottle, condition, keep an eye on the pressure though, it might continue fermenting slowly in the bottle because of the brett, you don't want bottle bombs.

What's the fg?

If it tastes good, keep some of the sludge, you got your own wild brett house culture now!

That skin on top of your beer you're looking at is called a pellicle. It's harmless, thrown by certain microorganisms to preserve oxygen underneath and hold back possible intruders.

If the beer underneath is tasty, sure, drink it. Leave the "slimy residue" on the bottom as much as you can. Siphon diligently.

Last edited:
Back