Odd ball Extract kit modification suggestions requested.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haven't experimented much with adding to basic extract kits, but I recieved two of these "Irish Style Premium Light Ale" kits free when I bought some kegging equipment.

2011-02-10202003.jpg

It also included Muntons "Beerkit enhancer".. which I believe is simply a combo of spray dried malt extract and and spray dried dextrose. Sounds like a good idea to use this so I plan to.

2011-02-10202013.jpg

What I'm looking for, are some hop additions for this type of beer. I'm not even sure what an "Irish Style Light Ale" is? I'm thinking if it is on the lighter side of things I could convert this into a Honey Brown?

Or if that fails, I'm a big hop head and prefer IPA's.. maybe I can add some hops to kick the bitterness up (and dry hop)? I don't mind variety though and if this style of extract isn't suited I'm open to any styles (except the wheat/pilsner stuff). Not going nuts on cost here (prefer to start from quality extract/mini grain recipe or something if I'm going to spend the money) but don't mind buying some hops, extra malt, or even some grains.

Thanks guys.

Tim

I'd just put the two together,& add hops to your liking. Fuggles,Kent Golding,Willamette,& Columbus are classic ale hops. The brew enhancer will def make the can better. Common practice to many extract brewers. Adding flavor/aroma hops works real well in this case.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do some research on making a honey brown extract kit and see what I can find. Suggestions on type of hops that suit honey additions are welcome. I'm thinking the addition of honey and maybe 2 oz total of boiling hops (spread over using suggestions from other honey brown recipes).

Thanks

Basically,any hops with floral notes would be good. The ones I mentioned have these notes,besides lemon grass,earthy/spicy, & fruity. There's a good breakdown on freshops.com called "hop descriptions". Very good list,imo,since it gives the common name,flavors expected from them,AAU%,& what beers they're commonly used in.

Thanks again, that Freshops.com link helped. I've thrown together this as a potential recipe, would love any and all comments/thoughts/suggestions.

Capture.JPG

Cheers

Thanks again, that Freshops.com link helped. I've thrown together this as a potential recipe, would love any and all comments/thoughts/suggestions.

Capture.JPG

Cheers

I'd cut out the dex,& up the DME to 3lbs. Leave the honey addition at the end of the boil. And boiling low AA% aroma/flavor hops like Willamette won't give much bittering,& drive off the aroma/flavor oils. Maybe split the Columbus to .5oz at 60,.5oz at 30. .5 oz Willamette at 10 or 15,.5 Willamette at 5.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided to drop the honey altogether and add more DME as you suggested. I'll take the advice on the williamette and move them to 15 min and 5 min.

I'll post a revised calc and let everybody know how it worked out (for those other newbs to get a feel for this sort of thing).

Back