Octoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Canmancan

Reaction score
Has anyone been to Octoberfest in Munich? I'm looking at going next year and figured this would be the best place to get info! Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay, things to do, etc?

I was there this year. I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of places to stay, but we stayed at Wombats hostel, which we liked. It's definitely a party atmosphere with mostly american and ausies. It's one of the more expensive hostels though. We split the trip and stayed in the Meringer also. Much better priced, just as nice, and much closer to the main entrance, and right across the street from Augustiner (the best brewery in munich). They also offer an oktoberfest package that includes free bavarian breakfast for each night you stay (white sausages, pretzel and a weis beer). As far as things to do outside the festival, I highly recommend Mikes Bike Tours. There's a ton to do in Munich, which you'll learn. We did the bike tour our first day and were very glad we did. At the festival, I would avoid hofbrau, as it's all americans, which I can hang out with anytime I want here so why go to Germany to do it? Hippodrom(sp?) is where all the locals go, Augustiner is a great tent with mostly germans, Hacker is a great party tent. Other than that, the rest are all similar to each other.

Has anyone been to Octoberfest in Munich? I'm looking at going next year and figured this would be the best place to get info! Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay, things to do, etc?

Yeah, I was just there. If your going to Oktoberfest, go to the Augustiner tent. Actually most of the tents are good. Hofbrau, Hacker-Pschorr Paulaner etc. my favorite was Augustiner.. The tents I didn't like were Spaten and Lowenbrau..The beer sucked. Also, head to the back of the fair grounds to a place called traditional Weisen. The beer was amazing. It's kinda cool to go back in time and drink beer that was supposedly brewed back in the day.

There is so many great places to go to in and around Munich. My favorite beer is Augustiner, so head over to the Augustiner Keller. It's pretty close to Oktoberfest. It's an outdoor beer garden and my favorite place to go. Also Try the Hofbrau house. Loud but a good time. Two places that are about a half hour away from Munich if you have a car and a must see are, Andechs Monastary and the Weihenstephaner brewery. Andechs is a monastery has been brewing beer for 500 years and is really good. You have to climb up a mountain, but the beer is worth it. Weihenstephaner is the oldest working brewery and has a nice beer tour never mind brewing great beer. The brewery ls pretty cool looking too. Kinda like Willy wonka...Marienplatz is a cool place. Lots of cool bars in the area.

As you could imagine, everything is pretty expensive during Oktoberfest. If you need any Hotel info , let me know. I've been twice in three years and had a blast. I drank and ate ALOT!!! Cheers.

Back