Octoberfest Lager taking long time ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleu0200

Reaction score
I cooked up a batch and put it in the primary nearly 3 day ago and have been keeping it at a steady 50 degrees since. I'm not seeing any bubbling in the airlock at all.

Do I need to re-pitch or just relax and wait til the end of the week?

- Ken

The yeast was a liquid Activator, designed for Octoberfest, you keep it cold in the fridge and then break the inner pouch of nutrients type of thing.

I did not make a starter. The guy at the home brew store didn't mention anything about that nor did the book I read.

what do you advise?

If you used a lager yeast without a starter, it will take days to start. I think it should start within five days though.

I'd check the s.g. and see if any fermentation has started at all. Lager yeast are bottom fermenting, so there might be something going on in there that you just can't see. If no fermentation has started, I'd buy another octoberfest yeast, make a starter and pitch it when the starter is at high krausen. That might take two days. (Do a search for "yeast starter" and you'll find TONS of info).

I'd always say to make a starter for the activator packs, even though they say there is no need.

And I'll always make a larger/stepped starter for my bocks and other beers I want to lager! It just takes off SO much quicker than without at those lower temps!

I have been researching doing a lager, and most info I have read says to make a starter.

Thanks for the info guys, the batch just started bubbling this morning. Next time I will use a starter though!!

Back