Octoberfest extract recipe wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharmguy

Reaction score
So my search didnt yield any results. Lots of people asking for the same think however.

Just need a tasty octoberfest extract recipe?

This is an extract with steeping grain recipe.
I usually mix and match the hops depending on what I have on hand or is on sale. This recipe is for the 2008 batch which I wanted to wind up a bit on the spicy side, so I used Saaz and Vanguard.

1 lb. Crushed CaraMunich ( steeping grain )

7 lbs. Light Malt Extract
.5 lbs. Light DME

1 oz. Vanguard pellets at Start of Boil. You could also use Tettnang or Hallertau, or MT. Hood.

.5 oz Saaz at 50 minutes into boil. ( aroma and spice ) You could also use Sterling.

You have many choices for yeast.

Nottingham is a safe bet, but I would look to Wyeast 3056 Bavarian blend or possibly WLP029 if fermenting at ale temps.
If you are going for lager temps, Saflager s-23, Wyeast 2633 or 2206. WLP820 is also a good choice.

I went with Wyeast 3056 this year.

--------------

Bring 3 gallons of cold, spring water to 150f. Add steeping grains ( in a grain bag ) and let steep for 30 minutes.

Add malt extracts.
Start the boil.
Add Vanguard hops at first boil. Saaz after 50 minutes of boiling.

* You can toss in some Irish Moss ( 1tsp ) after 45 minutes if desired. *
I usually don't use it. But others do.

Cool your wort to 80f. add to fermenter.
Top off with cold spring water. Pitch your yeast at around 70 - 75f.

Ferment around 65-70 if using ale yeast, 50-55 if lager yeast.

bottle or keg at your discretion. :mug:

Have fun.

I would steer away from 3065 if I were you!!! That yeast produces a massive amount of esters (bubble gum and banana especially) and would not match well IMHO with the malty deliciousness of an O-fest.

OP I would look up EdWort's Oktoberfast, I think he has an extract version and the AG version was great for me last year.

I am not qualified to give you advice about lagering. I just finished my fermentation chamber and will be starting lagering next month.

The Oktoberfast, in my sig, is a quasi-lager. It is fermented with a Koelsch yeast on the cold end of the yeast tolerance. I cold crashed it and hit it with gelatin to get it as clear as possible.

I would steer away from 3065 if I were you!!! That yeast produces a massive amount of esters (bubble gum and banana especially) and would not match well IMHO with the malty deliciousness of an O-fest.

are you confusing 3068 weheinstephan? The 3056 has always seemed mild to me.
Edwort's Octoberfast is a good recipe as well.

Man, looks great. So if I lager, how long at 50 deg....months?

If you're making a lager, you ferment in primary about 2 weeks, at 50 degrees or so, until finished. Then, if you need a diacetyl rest, you can raise the temperature to room temperature. Then, you rack and can lager. I like to lager most "medium gravity" lagers for 6-12 weeks at 34 degrees.

I would look to Wyeast 3056 Bavarian blend or possibly WLP029 if fermenting at ale temps.
If you are going for lager temps, Saflager s-23, Wyeast 2633 or 2206. WLP820 is also a good choice.

I went with Wyeast 3056 this year.

I would steer away from 3065 if I were you!!!

are you confusing 3068 weheinstephan? The 3056 has always seemed mild to me.

:off:

Doesn't anyone on this forum use actual words when talking about yeast? Why is it assumed that everyone has every yeast number from every yeast company memorized????? Damn that bugs me........:off:

Has anyone used Wyeast 2112 Cali lager in a October fest? I'm fermenting an anchor steam clone right now and was wondering if I could use the cake for an October fest with good results.

I retract my earlier statements. I was talking about 3068 Weihenstephaner wheat yeast. I have not used the 3056 Bavarian Wheat. I would still be skeptical of any Bavarian wheat yeast to make a quasi lager... but who knows.

Hey Bernie, GET OFF MY LAWN! :D

I love the Sam Adams Octoberfest!! Best Octoberfest I've tried!! ....but I've yet to also try Paulaner's Octoberfest..

I really like that super maltly favor Sam Adams was able to get in their beer.

Is the WLP300 really the best choice for Octoberfest?? I've yet to have anything good with it.

I just tried the Spaten Oktoberfest this weekend.....wonderful! Very malty. slightly skunkish in smell. Tastes very close to the Sam Adams. But the Sam Adams I think has a better smell. Spaten has the better taste.

I highly recommend the Spaten! Good stuff!

....btw, come on with the Spaten and/or Sam Adams Oktoberfest clone recipes!!!!

No Weizen yeast is good for an O'fest brew. WTF????:confused:

Here's one...

October Fest
A great-tasting German style amber lager.

(Recipe for 20 litres)
1/2 lb. toasted barley
2 oz. roasted barley
1/2 lb. of crystal malt
1 1/2 kg. can of amber malt extract
50 gm Tettanger hop pellets.(bittering)
15 gm Hallertau hops (finishing)
2 pkgs of dry lager yeast.

Method:Put grains into 1 1/2 gallons of water. Bring temperature up to 150º F. Hold for 30 minutes. Bring to boil. Remove grains as soon as boil begins. Add malt and bittering hops. Boil vigorously for 1/2 hour. Add finishing hops and turn off heat after 3 more minutes. Ferment as usual. Spg. 1.046
Notes: Very good beer. The toasted barley is really evident in the taste.

and another...

Rocktoberfest

Ebola June 05, 1996
This is for the most part an extract recipe with the exception of
1/2 pound of toasted barley. It is a basic and simple festival beer.

7 lbs Alexanders amber malt extract
1/2 lb toasted barley (Toast 2-row barley in oven @350 for 10 min)
1/2 oz of a 10% alpha hop for 60 minutes
1/4 oz Tettnanger or Hallertau @ 30 minutes
1/4 oz Tettnanger or Hallertau @ 45 minutes

Wyeast Bavarian yeast
OG 1050
TG 1010
primary one week
secondary one week
lager 3 months @ 40 degrees

After toasting the malt I simply add it to a small portion of the
wort and bring to a boil (approx. 1/2 gal.) I then pour the liquid
into the brew kettle straining off the grains using a collander.

Back