obssesion with hopstands...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the OP bailed.

I didnt bail, just taking a deep breath. I did in fact get the "gripefruit joke", was just hoping for real feedback is all. And as for "how to achieve real hop flavor" I can do that very well using late boil hops. My typical IPA uses around 12oz of hops, I just use more of them towards the "bitter" end. I realize that things change over time, and people discover new varietals that come out each year and like to experiment with flavor. I just notice a very drastic trend with this forum to be distracted with new shiny things. As I said in the original post, you can do what you want. My problem was never with the hopstand itself, as I know the uni

I think the OP bailed.

I didnt bail, just taking a deep breath. I did in fact get the "gripefruit joke", was just hoping for real feedback is all. And as for "how to achieve real hop flavor" I can do that very well using late boil hops. My typical IPA uses around 12oz of hops, I just use more of them towards the "bitter" end. I realize that things change over time, and people discover new varietals that come out each year and like to experiment with flavor. I just notice a very drastic trend with this forum to be distracted with new shiny things. As I said in the original post, you can do what you want. My problem was never with the hopstand itself, as I know the unique properties it provides. My problem was with people being told to do it with utter disregard to the intended goal of that recipes creator. If someone posts a recipe for feedback on an "authentic" styled brew, dont tell him to by an electronic RIMS rig and make a batch of orange juice.

I think the OP bailed.

I didnt bail, just taking a deep breath. I did in fact get the "gripefruit joke", was just hoping for real feedback is all. And as for "how to achieve real hop flavor" I can do that very well using late boil hops. My typical IPA uses around 12oz of hops, I just use more of them towards the "bitter" end. I realize that things change over time, and people discover new varietals that come out each year and like to experiment with flavor. I just notice a very drastic trend with this forum to be distracted with new shiny things. As I said in the original post, you can do what you want. My problem was never with the hopstand itself, as I know the unique properties it provides. My problem was with people being told to do it with utter disregard to the intended goal of that recipes creator. If someone posts a recipe for feedback on an "authentic" styled brew, dont tell him to make a batch of orange juice. When I first posted this the thread right under mine was a pale ale and this **** went down.

My problem was with people being told to do it with utter disregard to the intended goal of that recipes creator. If someone posts a recipe for feedback on an "authentic" styled brew, dont tell him to make a batch of orange juice. When I first posted this the thread right under mine was a pale ale and this **** went down.

Again, still waiting on the links to see what you're talking about. Every post I seem to see about hopstands is either in regard to American IPA's, or with folks asking advice because they don't have enough hop character in their recipe. Who recommended 6 oz hopstand on a brown ale?

Current issue of BYO:

image.jpg

I actually used a hopstand for a good portion of my honey wheat ale that I wanted low bitterness but huge aroma/flavor and it turned out perfectly... Would I do it in a brown ale? No, but neither would I judge someone who did. This is the great thing about homebrewing, we experiment and find techniques that give us flavors that are personalized to our tastes, not those of the general public or some brew master at a craft brewery.

Just because something is a trend doesn't mean it's bad, or that everyone is doing it. Sure if someone really enjoys the flavors produced by something they're probably going to advise it. That's the great thing about advise, you have the free will to take it or leave it. But just because you don't like it don't say it's wrong.

One more thing, before I step off the soap box, it's great that you learned a lot yourself but that's not the fault of this community. This is a treasure trove of information and experience here, there are very few questions that I've had that I haven't found answers for in this forum.

Most recent IPA. "Sunshine in Yo Mouf"

70/25/5 Pale, Vienna & carapils.

.50 oz, Apollo @ 60

1 oz each of citra, amarillo, centennial & ahtanum @ flame out.

1 oz each of citra, amarillo, cascade, & ahtanum , whirlpool hopstand @ 170 for 30 min.

2 oz each, Columbus & Simcoe dry hop for 10 days.

S05. 1.064/1.010

So, would it be prudent to say that people who no-chill get the most out of their flameout & whirlpool hops?

So, would it be prudent to say that people who no-chill get the most out of their flameout & whirlpool hops?

I think not just no-chill but also people who have a simple system like cooling the wort in the bath tub. That can take a while and while that happens the water is still hot for a good long while. I assume that'd do bad things to hop oils in late additions but would work better with whirlpool additions since you're using your slow cooling system instead of having it work against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back