Oats to my ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidfromkanada

Reaction score
Has any one threw in like a half pound of oats to there pale ale?

what notable impact would there be?

Oats have a pretty subtle flavor impact, kind of nutty, but their main effect is to add a creamy quality to the body of the beer. People mostly use them in darker beers (eg. oatmeal stout) typically around 10%, but half a pound sounds about right for a pale ale.

Note that you can't just throw oats into the pot along with steeping grains, though: you need to mash them along with some base malt to get good results.

IIRC, a good commercial example would be the Bass pub ale (in the cans) compared to their bottled product.

If memroy serves me, I think they add oats to the grist to give the canned "Pub Ale" more of a draught type of mouthfeel.

o no im not doing any extract brewing its all grain, any way what i think im going to do is make 2 smaller batches and mash one with some oats.

Yea Gilaminum i was thinking the same thing but only with beer served on nitro, damn beer is so creamy and smooth, im hoping i can get my beer to mimic some thing like a bass in can.

If you use oats, either do a cereal mash (ie cook) or buy rolled oats. The starches have to be gelatinized for the oats to be useful in the mash.

Back