Oats for stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johannes

Reaction score
To brew an oatmeal stout, can I use Quaker oatmeal in the cardboard cylinder as is into my mash, or do I have to roast them first. Thanks

Johannes

I toast them at 350°F for 10 minutes on each side for a little added mouthfeel.

Wild

Johannes said:
To brew an oatmeal stout, can I use Quaker oatmeal in the cardboard cylinder as is into my mash, or do I have to roast them first. Thanks

Johannes

I got the quaker quick oats in the cylinder and tossed into the mash in a PM oatmeal stout...quite nice.

If you have regular oatmeal that requires cooking (~30 minutes), cook it before adding it to the mash. Quick oats can go straight into the mash. Do not use instant oatmeal.

Roasting mainly changes the flavor and isn't required.

You can grind them if you want - you will get a bit more fermentable sugar from them if you do. I just pulse them for about 15-20 seconds in my food processor.

Johannes said:

Johannes

You can but you'll have to cook the oats before adding them to your mash. Just follow the directions on the can but omit the salt. A better idea is to use Quick oats. You can add these directly to your mash and don't have to cook them first and you won't be able to tell the difference in the final product.

eddie said:
You can but you'll have to cook the oats before adding them to your mash. Just follow the directions on the can but omit the salt. A better idea is to use Quick oats. You can add these directly to your mash and don't have to cook them first and you won't be able to tell the difference in the final product.

Just to clear up any confusion, Quaker Quick Oats also come in the cardboard cylinder...they sell the regular oats, steel cut and quick oats in similar packaging. Red bottom half is regular, blue is quick and the entirely blue package is steel cut.

Yea, the 'Quick Oats' say something like 'Quick-1 Minute' on the front of the cylinder under the quaker dude's head.

You don't have to cook those, just throw them in the mash. Don't get Instant Oatmeal.

If you get the regular oats you gotta cook em first.

Back