Oats and Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheaton

Reaction score
I'm going to be using an extract recipe from a book that is tuned for a full boil, but I'll be doing a partial. They call for 1 pound of oats to be boiled for the full 60. I feel like this is going to turn my 3gal boil into a large pot of malted oat meal. Should I just drop the oats in with the steeping grains? Should I reduce the amount of oats? Will 1 pound of oats be fine with a 3 gal boil? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Alrighty then.....

6.6lbs Light LME
2lbs dry light LME
1lb Crystal
1lb Rolled oats
2oz cascase @60 min
1oz Haller @5min
1oz Kent Goldings @5min
Notty Dry Yeast.

It seems to be sort of a Strong bitter. The recipe in the book calls for 30 mins of steeping @ 170deg with the crystal. Then dumping the oats in at the start of the boil (60 min) along with the cascade. The book specifies that all of the extract recipes assume a full boil. I know I Have to adjust my hops for utilization for a partial... but what about the oats? Assume a 3 gal partial instead of a 5 gal full boil. I'm worried dumping 1 pound of oats into my 3 gal boil is going to turn my wort into oatmeal.

My reading is leaving me to believe I should be using the oats with my steeping grains, not in the boil..... is this correct?

Flaked oats need to be converted/mashed so you're not just throwing starches in your beer. Regardless if you steep it or throw it in the kettle the end result is the same.

I'd leave it out.

I've tried mini mashing oats before...its a mushy disaster. I just steep them with my grains now for 30 minutes, and I feel i get much of the "mouth feel" transferred into my brews.

Exactly what I was afraid of. I can see doing this if I was doing a full boil, but that stuff soaks up too much liquid to do it in a partial. Steep it is!! Really looking forward to seeing how this recipe turns out..... I'll be doing a late extract addition to make up for the fact the recipe called for a full boil so I can get as close to full hops utilization as possible.

Use quick oats with your specialty grains.

Really? I've often wondered what the difference was between the flaked oats sold at my LHBS and Quaker Oats.

So if I buy Quaker or generic quick oats and steep them with my grains for 30 min, I'll get some mouthfeel benefit?

HPIM0254.JPG

It's all basically the same thing. Quick oats are cut into smaller peices. So ya, you should definitely get some mouthfeel and head retention results using the stuff from the grocery store. I won't be using quick oats, but regular quaker oats, but should still get the benefits.

Back