Oatmeal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
I have an extract and steeping grains recipe for oatmeal stout that calls for 1lb. of oatmeal, but I'm unsure how to it.

Do I simply add it dry to my grain bag and steep it with the other grains?

Do I cook it? and then what? steep it? Boil in the wort?

Thanks in advance .

vtchuck said:
I have an extract and steeping grains recipe for oatmeal stout that calls for 1lb. of oatmeal, but I'm unsure how to it.

Do I simply add it dry to my grain bag and steep it with the other grains?

Do I cook it? and then what? steep it? Boil in the wort?

Thanks in advance .

Treat it like any other grain. You might want some rice hulls in there since oatmeal gets gluey and gelatanous.

Oatmeal is a tricky one -- you will get lots of opinions on this.

First, I would only use the instant flaked oats -- they are essentially 'pre-cooked' so they don't require any additional boiling, like you might have to do with other forms of oats (be sure to check at the grocery store, because there are many different kinds: instant/quick, flaked, rolled, etc.).

I prefer to use oats in a mash of some sort (e.g., a partial mash if you are not an all grain brewer). If you mash oats with a base malt that will release enzymes to convert starch to sugar, then the base malt will convert the starch in the oats, leading to a clearer and somewhat better tasting wort.

Here is a good article on the partial mash procedure, including a recipe and discussion of using oats in a stout:
http://***********/feature/1536.html

Having said this, if you are doing a stout, then some say don't bother with a mash because a clear beer is irrelevant, and starch haze doesn't matter (stouts are just too dark to begin with). So just steep the grains in hot water (150-160F) for a half an hour with your other specialty malts, rinse, and add to your boil. This can all be done in a pot using a grain bag or strainer to separate the liquid from the grains. It takes about half the time, requires less attention, and less equipment.

Here is some great info on steeping:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter13.html

Sorry that wasn't a simple answer, but I hope that info helps.

Oats are high in lipids and therefore add that "creaminess" that everyone talks about when referring to oatmeal stouts. I actually like to take instant oats or the 1-minute variety and toast them in the oven for 7-10 minutes on an un-unglazed floor tile. You'll know the oats are sufficiently toasted when you begin to smell that grandma's cookie smell. If you choose to toast the oats let them sit for at least a day before use as they're a little on the harsh side. There's a great article is the past BYO magazine concerning oats. It might be worth a quick read for some more tips.

I just put them in with my specialty grains. Seems to work for me...I am sure that it does not convert as well as if you mashed them, but there is a definite mouthfeel when I use them.

Brewpastor said:
Come over to the dark side, all grain, all grain, all grain...

I'm back to homebrewing after a 20 year hiatus...and SWMBO has noted the start up expenses for my new "hobby"..... I have to lay low for a while before I start acquiring the equipment for all grain

vtchuck said:
I'm back to homebrewing after a 20 year hiatus...and SWMBO has noted the start up expenses for my new "hobby"..... I have to lay low for a while before I start acquiring the equipment for all grain
Welcome back.

Tip: take your email off your sig....

When I do an Oatmeal stout I do a partial mash with some grain and the oats. The batch I'm currently enjoying is nice and creamy. I would even consider adding just a little more oats, I might want to try that thing about toasting them that Runhard mentioned. BTW, What does that do for the flavor & texture? & what do you mean by Harsh?

Back