Oatmeal vs flaked oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks. I did do a search, from my iPod but the mobile app never searches quite right.

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Well, any difference? Can I use them interchangeably?

The answer is "maybe".

If you are using any adjunct, like rice or oatmeal, use the "quick", "minute", "instant" etc. version of these. I.e., if the instructions say to microwave for 30 seconds, then you can use them directly in the mash. Quick Oats, Instant Rice, etc. are ok. Their starches have already been gelatinized through heat, pressure, or both.

If the instructions require you to boil for 10 minutes to serve, then you will need to do this also before you use them in your mash. Otherwise, the enzymes won't be able to break down the starches in those cereals.

All starches have to be gelatinized to make they accessible to the enzymes during the mash.

Note that you must mash adjuncts like rice, corn, and oats with barley because they contain no enzymes.

The answer is "maybe".

If you are using any adjunct, like rice or oatmeal, use the "quick", "minute", "instant" etc. version of these. I.e., if the instructions say to microwave for 30 seconds, then you can use them directly in the mash. Quick Oats, Instant Rice, etc. are ok. Their starches have already been gelatinized through heat, pressure, or both.

If the instructions require you to boil for 10 minutes to serve, then you will need to do this also before you use them in your mash. Otherwise, the enzymes won't be able to break down the starches in those cereals.

All starches have to be gelatinized to make they accessible to the enzymes during the mash.

Note that you must mash adjuncts like rice, corn, and oats with barley because they contain no enzymes.

Excellent! Thank you.

-d

Ok thanks. I did do a search, from my iPod but the mobile app never searches quite right.

The search function for non paying members is crap. If you purchase the membership you get nifty features like searching titles only, sub forums and even able to search for usernames. I hate this "search" for it **** when the regular search function is absolutely useless and pulls up junk/dead tops most of the time.

Back