Oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rooster_442

Reaction score
I am on my third batch of beer and just picked up a oatmeal stout box kit. I have a couple questions

1. I heard I should put the oats in the oven to get more flavor. How do I do that? What temp how long? More info the better.

2. I have not used a secondary fermenter yet and haven't needed to as my last 2 batches are amazing! Do I need to use a secondary for the oatmeal stout? I am not going to dry hop it as I said before it's a box kit. Thank you!

I am on my third batch of beer and just picked up a oatmeal stout box kit. I have a couple questions

1. I heard I should put the oats in the oven to get more flavor. How do I do that? What temp how long? More info the better.

2. I have not used a secondary fermenter yet and haven't needed to as my last 2 batches are amazing! Do I need to use a secondary for the oatmeal stout? I am not going to dry hop it as I said before it's a box kit. Thank you!

1. Just on a cookie sheet at 350, for about 15-20 minutes until the oats start smelling like oatmeal cookies and get a bit toasty. Stir them once or twice, and watch for burning!

2. No, no secondary is needed.

Rooster, are you using the Oatmeal Stout extract kit from Midwest? I have been thinking about getting this one and would be very curious to see how it comes out.

Good luck!

Back