oatmeal stout yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithp

Reaction score
I plan on making an oatmeal stout that I got from Midwest home brew. I am going to try to brew with yeast from a "smack pack". My question is this: What is the easiest way to activate the yeast? It says to start with some DME, do I need to use DME or can I getaway with using Liquid Extract? Also the smack pack that I got was already bubbled a bit, so when I got it I placed it in the fridge. Was this a bad move? This is only my 3rd brew, and the first using a smack pack so I don't want to Bif it!! Any help will be much appreciated!!

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3394

Make sure it is smacked, warm it up, make a starter with DME and let it grow!

If your referring to the LME that came with the kit you need to save that for the beer. It is best to do a starter, but if you don't have the stuff available you can warm and smack the pouch and give it an hour or two to puff up....at least if its a fairly new pouch.

Make sure to sanitize the outside of the pouch and scissors if you need to use them.

You can use LME for starters. If you use some from your kit, you'll be adding it back into the fermenter anyway. People use DME because it is easier to work with in small quantities.

The pack was puffed up a bit when I got it. Is this going to cause a problem.
Thanks for the help!!

it shouldn't -- they aren't vacuum sealed, but they aren't full either...if that makes sense

So if I dont make a starter, I can just pitch and wait longer then normal to see some action??Sorry for all the noob questions:D

Just make sure you break the inner nutrient pack and wait for it to swell. I usually try to activate mine 12 hours in advance, if not more.

I wouldn't worry about the starter yet. Wait till you get a few more brews under your belt.

Bring the yeast to room temp and activate it, then just pitch it once it has swelled.

Thanks Chello, I keep trying to answer this question and my browser keeps crashing.

Back