Oatmeal Stout, Windsor yeast, no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STomp

Reaction score
Hey all -
So I've done 13 beers prior to this last. Saturday night, I re-ran my #5 *Oatmeal Stout*.
Here's the ticket - Brewed her Saturday night. Did everything to the book. I pitched the yeast. I WAS surprised to find that my thermometer read that @ the 4.5g mark, the temperature of the wort was about 61 degrees.
What I did do wrong was left her out in the living room. I slept in and it hit daylight. The fermenter hit 78-80 degrees. Sunday- now I have had the flu.
She's seen temps between 64-80 degrees. Is she still good? Just need to re-pitch?

Thanks in advance, friends. :rockin:

Done as in 'throw it away' done?

No!!!! Done as in "I'd bet that the 80 degree temperatures encouraged it to ferment hard and fast" and the beer is finished fermenting.

When you aren't dying with the flu anymore, pop off the top and take an SG sample. Cover it back up and then drink the sample. My guess is that it's at FG and simply finished. You may have some off-flavors from such a high temperature, mostly fruit flavors (banana-y), but it may be really tasty anyway!

Hard and fast must've been damn quick. I stepped out Sunday afternoon *when I just had a slight sore throat* to watch the football at a local bar. I was gone for *maybe* 10 hours. When I got back, I didn't see any residual bubbles in the airlock, though.
I'll check her out tomorrow. Thanks, Yooper!

Ok, so I checked her out. Fermentation was complete. Started at 1.050 and now it is 1.020. Smells fine, tastes, and looks fine. Seems I lucked out. F yeah!
:rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin::mug:

I'm soooo pissed off right at this hour. I went to bottle the Oatmeal Stout and there are little white things on top. It doesn't cover the whole part of the surface, but I've never seen something like this before...and this is my 14th batch. I can't take a picture of it.
I think I mucked this one up.
Ideas? thoughts? suggestions?

Don't worry man, I think you are just seeing some dead yeast... Unless it was hairy or multicolor green an white, you are good.

Don't worry man, I think you are just seeing some dead yeast... Unless it was hairy or multicolor green an white, you are good.

After I posted, I went back to it. Took a picture *came out bad*. I tasted it - tasted normal. The gunk on top was just floating. Seemed like dead yeast. Bottled it. Gonna wait and test it out in 3 weeks.

Let's hope :drunk:

Windsor did that in my beer too. It'll drop to the bottom if you let it, but it's of no concern as you saw.

Back