Oatmeal Stout Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
I am brewing a recipe that I found on this site and have some questions on the process - I have never brewed with oatmeal in the past.

My recipe calls for 1.25# flaked oatmeal. I plan to do a partial mash and wonder if the oatmeal goes directly into the mash or do I steep this at a later time? Or...any other methods? Is there anything different such as problems draining that would require rice hulls?

Also - the recipe calls for 1.75oz Kent Goldings - Are these for bittering only and should be tossed in at the beginning of the boil? Should I stage these in any manner?

Recipe Below.

Bitterness: 26 IBU
OG: 1.058 FG: 1.014
Alcohol: 5.7% v/v (4.5% w/w)

Grain:
3 lb. American 2-row – or English 2-row if available
2 lb. American 6-row – or English 6-row if available
.5 lb. American crystal 120L – English Crystal
.5 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
.5 lb. British chocolate
.25 lb. Roasted barley
1.5 lb. Flaked oats

Mash:
70% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.053 5.5 gallons
Extracts:
2 lb. Light dry malt extract
Hops:
1.75 oz. Kent Goldings (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
Yeast: Wyeast - Irish Ale

The oats go into the mash with all the other grains. You need the two-row (or six-row) to convert them.

And yes, the 60 minute hops all go in at the beginning of the boil.

I like rice hulls in all of my recipes. Better sparging and higher efficiency.

Your grist is around 18% flaked oats and they can get pretty gummy. If it were my batch, I'd opt for rice hulls. If you don't be extremely careful not to vorlauf or drain too fast as the excessive suction will cause clogging in your manifold (or whatever).

Back