oatmeal stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo103

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a wake n bake stout clone and was wondering if this grain mixture would convert well since it is my first time using flaked oats and flaked barley .
.5lb pale malt 2 row
10.3oz flaked barley
10.3oz flaked oats
3/4lb chocolate malt
.5lb black patent malt
.5lb black barley
And 6.5lbs light D.M.E
Going to steep in sac bag in 2 gallons of water at 152 degress for 45 min. Remove bring to boil and add the 6.5lb light D.M.E. what do you think of the grain bill and will the extra grains be enough to help the flaked oats and flaked barley convert. Thanks for your help and advice

I read your recipe as an extract with steeping grains recipe... So, I wouldn't worry about "conversion." You will get the characteristics you want out of the flaked grains regardless. Don't worry about converting fermentable sugars from flaked products because that is NOT their purpose anyways. Also, don't even bother with the 2 row or a 45 minute rest. Just steep for 30 minutes as usual.

You should use more 2 row if you want it to convert.

Wrong in this situation. He does not have a mash recipe here. You do not need to convert any fermentable sugars because he is getting all of the fermentable sugars he needs from the DME. Also, he will still get the body/mouthfeel characteristic from the flaked products. To get a better overall recipe, he would reduce the DME, and increase the 2 Row to make a proper Partial Mash. But it appears he wants an extract/with steeping grains recipe... no need for conversion.

I'd just throw in your steep items at 160 and give it 30-40 minutes. It will turn out nice. The flaked add smoothness and head retention that apparently doesn't require "conversion" by a base malt for effect. Lots of recipes just steep these items. The small amount of 2 row you are using shouldn't hurt anything and will convert some of the flaked, adding a small amount of fermentable sugar. But like said before, adding fermentables isn't the primary mission of flaked grains here.

Steep and go! Need need to be precise with 152F.

I figured he did wanted to partial mash since this is the all grain and partial mash forum. If this is the case I would increase the 2 row to about 2 pounds and mash the 2 row and flaked grains separately.

solo103 said:
Yeah sorry for the confusion. It's a extract base with steeping grains.

No worries. You only have 23 posts and sometimes I'm confused as well where to post my questions. Honestly I didnt even notice the forum topic here on my phone.

Brew away and ENJOY. Sometimes good questions end up in flame wars.

The light d.m.e did not give me the drop dark color I wanted . It came out brown like my gut told me it would. Should have used dark because now your going to be able to see the have from the oats and if I add the chocolate to secondary its going to give it a muddled color. Always go with your gut. I just wonder why so many people said it would turn out dark. Multiple people said it would but it definitely did not.

solo103 said:
The light d.m.e did not give me the drop dark color I wanted . It came out brown like my gut told me it would. Should have used dark because now your going to be able to see the have from the oats and if I add the chocolate to secondary its going to give it a muddled color. Always go with your gut. I just wonder why so many people said it would turn out dark. Multiple people said it would but it definitely did not.

Did you crush your grain? All of that dark malt should have made it plenty dark.

afr0byte is right. That chocolate malt and black patent should have made that wort black as night. I'm not quite sure what you mean "have from the oats" or adding the chocolate to the secondary.... Did you not add all of the grains listed in your recipe to the mash or crush the grains as afr0byte asked?

Yeah man I always crush them. I do BIAB the mash before I added the d.m.e was like midnight oil wich is what I wanted but when I added the light. D.M.E it lightened it up a lot and by the time it finished boiling and I added the other 3 gallons of water it became a deep brown not dark black

I ment to say haze not have (stupid spell assit) and yes u did add all the malt that I listed and steeped for 45 min. The wert was dark as oil and tasted nice but when the light d.m.e was added it lightend it up and by the time I added the final 3 gallons after the ice bath it became a deep brown like a brown ale not a stout.

That doesn't make sense at all to me. I use pale malt as a base (lighter than light DME) and not nearly that much black malt, and my oatmeal stout is black.

I think that maybe it'll be darker once it's well mixed together and fermented- as you've used more dark malt than I do in my recipe.

Yeah over 20 people including 3 professional brewers I know said the same thing but I assure you its mixed well and it has me stumped myself because I just don't see how some many brewers with a wide range of experience would get those results and it would turn out diffrent in my case.

Yeah over 20 people including 3 professional brewers I know said the same thing but I assure you its mixed well and it has me stumped myself because I just don't see how some many brewers with a wide range of experience would get those results and it would turn out diffrent in my case.

You're 100% sure the grain was thoroughly crushed?

Yeah man milled it my self at the home brew shop with their bad ass miller it all was completly crushed and the couple malts I got crushed from northern brewer.

That's why I'm stumped it didn't turn out dark but I'm going to do it agian with dark D.M.E all the other stouts I have done I used dark D.M.E so I'm just going to stick with what worked for me. Thanks for the help and advice though

Back