Oatmeal stout, Nottingham or Voss Kveik ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jban7

Reaction score
I have a question maybe some one has some experience on. currently i just kicked a keg of oatmeal stout from John Palmers brewing classic styles. it was so good that my wife for the first time asked how to "use the beer fridge". i really want to brew it again the week but i don't have any US 05. has anyone used Lallemand Nottingham or Lallemand Voss Kveik for a stout before. Personally i would prefer to use the kveik as i don't have a fermentation chamber and iv herd some nasty things about Nottingham. Any thoughts >?

I haven't used Voss in a stout yet, but the last 4 out of my 5 brews have been with the Lallemand Voss Kveik, and I also don't have a ferm chamber.

I have noticed that if you over pitch it's quite a clean yeast, when I use one 11g pack for a 5 gal batch I don't notice any esters. I just did a really malt forward amber, took the first sample last night and I can't find any citrus in there.

I have also noticed that it never attenuates as much as advertised, I have tried mashing lower, adding a decent amount of yeast nutrient, pitching at a higher temp and still all my brews with Voss end up finishing about 4-5 points higher than calculated. I think this is because I can't keep the temps high enough throughout the fermentation. This could all be down to my process, I am still a beginner, but I think it will be good in a stout if you over pitch.

Thanks Pozzi
Thats kinda what I was thinking about the over pitching. I did my last honey pale ale with voss and over pitched as well. I still got a hint of orange peal like character. I even fermented it at its low rang from 68 to 75 on the kitchen counter. I also live off grid and dont have a big enough solar system to constantly run a ferm chamber so I dont think I will even get one. I would like to manipulate my recipes (if you will) to accommodate kveik strains just for ease of brewing. I have a Fall brown ale pretty much done in the fermenter right now with voss maybe I should just throw the wort right on the yeast cake?? What do you think ?

Thanks Pozzi
Thats kinda what I was thinking about the over pitching. I did my last honey pale ale with voss and over pitched as well. I still got a hint of orange peal like character. I even fermented it at its low rang from 68 to 75 on the kitchen counter. I also live off grid and dont have a big enough solar system to constantly run a ferm chamber so I dont think I will even get one. I would like to manipulate my recipes (if you will) to accommodate kveik strains just for ease of brewing. I have a Fall brown ale pretty much done in the fermenter right now with voss maybe I should just throw the wort right on the yeast cake?? What do you think ?

Yea I think it will work well, a brown ale and stout are pretty similar flavour profiles and you will probably get an even shorter lag time! I have also been working my recipe's around Voss, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I just need to figure out how to get it to attenuate a bit more. Do you pitch the dry yeast strait onto the wort, or rehydrate first?

Yea I think it will work well, a brown ale and stout are pretty similar flavour profiles and you will probably get an even shorter lag time! I have also been working my recipe's around Voss, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I just need to figure out how to get it to attenuate a bit more. Do you pitch the dry yeast strait onto the wort, or rehydrate first?

I have done both ways. And I get the same result tast wise. One surprising outcome and the only difference that I can see is that when dry pitching fermentation starts way faster. I'm talking like 6 hrs and like I said thats at about 70°f.

I've done quite a few porters (with 8-10% oats) with Voss, and I've been pleased with the results every time.

Usually between 30-35C. I have a small heating mat that works well.

Voss is my new go to for RIS. I have one in a barrel that the OG was 1.102 and FG is 1.016, that's 84% ADF. I don't understand why a lot of brewers are having attenuation issues. My first one stalled at 1.034,so I did my own thing. First when doing high gravity brews I mash low and slow(think BBQ) 148* first mash is overnite. Second mash in morning is mashed for 2 hours. Long i know ,but the brew is 15 gal into a barrel of 11.4% RIS. The sane gravity brews are just mashed for a total of 2 hours in a step mash starting at 143* , 60 min, 158* 30 min and if you can get it to 172 for 10 min all the better. Mash out at 170-172 is a dextrinizing step that helps with foam and big beers need help there. My fermentation is also unorthodox inthat I chill to 68* for cold break then heat to 77* and pitch .At pitching I set to 86*. ( have a reflextix 2 layer cover) it will take itself to 90*. I let it fall back to 86* to finish and 73% ADF is the lowest I've gotten. I'm also not in a hurry and don't move it until day 14 or so. I do check the FG when the "S" style air lock is even,and their done. Maybe most important is I pitch 1/3 of a small beer slurry into each 6.5 gal fermenter. When making smaller brews I pitch a 1 L starter, but I end up with very clean low ester beers.

I haven't used Voss in a stout yet, but the last 4 out of my 5 brews have been with the Lallemand Voss Kveik, and I also don't have a ferm chamber.

I have noticed that if you over pitch it's quite a clean yeast, when I use one 11g pack for a 5 gal batch I don't notice any esters. I just did a really malt forward amber, took the first sample last night and I can't find any citrus in there.

I have also noticed that it never attenuates as much as advertised, I have tried mashing lower, adding a decent amount of yeast nutrient, pitching at a higher temp and still all my brews with Voss end up finishing about 4-5 points higher than calculated. I think this is because I can't keep the temps high enough throughout the fermentation. This could all be down to my process, I am still a beginner, but I think it will be good in a stout if you over pitch.

You are right, Voss does NOT attenuate as hyped. It's a great yeast ,im brewing everything but my morning coffee with it...BUT its not as hyped.

Im in Perth cracking through hot summers , pitching at 38 and insulating, nutrient ...bla bla bla and it still seems to leave a fewpoints of residual sugars ( unless you rock fermenter and leave it more days)

It settles out so well , i give the fermenter a bit if a rock on day 2 to get the yeast back into the fight. Would never do that with regular ale yeast.

You can way under pitch with most kinds of kviek and that is how I've gotten the best attenuation. I follow the advice of Lars Garshol from his blog, and after a few generations I got a yeast that I was really happy with.

Keeping the temperature up near the max, especially the first few days, and preventing premature flocing by shaking if the temp ever dips too low can also help with attenuation.

Back