Oatmeal stout Grain Bill

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MGR72

Reaction score
How does this grain bill look like for a strong chocolate oatmeal stout (there will be cacao added in secondary as well). I think its a little heavy on the roasted grains but have never really used that many before. Me and my brewing partner disagree so I just want to see what the group opinion is.
This will be a partial mash... aiming for 6.5-7 abv

5 LB Light LME
3 LB American two row
2 LB Pale Chocolate Malt
1.5 LB Roasted Barley
1 LB Oatmeal

Any suggestions, praise, word of warnings?
Thanks!

Bob

Reaction score
Usually, stout has 10% roasted grain. Dry Irish Stout, f'rinstance, uses 10% Roasted Barley, 20% flaked barley, and 70% pale malt (or extract equivalent). You can go higher, but you risk taking the beer too far toward roasted bitterness.

Bob

Hagen

Reaction score
I think you're overdoing it on the roast barley to the Nth degree. Like Bob said, the normal percentage is lower, and a little roast goes a long way. My oatmeal stout used 12oz chocolate malt, 8oz roast and 2oz black patent.

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use 12oz of chocolate and 12oz of roasted barley in my oatmeal stout and love how it comes out. However, I do not let Black Patent in the house, and I adjust my IBUs down to account for the increased bitterness from the dark grains. That is the sort of bitterness I want in a stout, anyhow.

I do not have enough experience with pale chocolate to tell you how that recipe might come out.

TL

OP
M

MGR72

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.
We ended up changing things up a little bit due to some mistaken calculations in the store house.....
Ended up doing a partial mash with

3 lb two row
1/2 lb Belgian Pils
1 lb Pale Chocolate
1 lb Roasted Barley
6 Oz Carapils

1.5 oz fuggles at 60 min
.5 oz fuggles at 15 along with 4 oz of raw cacao

It's a mutt.... We'll see what happens! O.G. turned out a little higher than expected... 1.074
Hydro sample tasted thick and yummy.