Oatmeal stout grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike37

Reaction score
I need to bang out an oatmeal stout in the next month or so for a pipeline filler. Which grain bill should I use? I really have no aim or preference for this one.

7.5lb domestic 2 row
0.5lb chocolate malt
0.5lb C80
0.5lb roasted barley
0.5lb black malt
1.0lb flaked oats

or

7.5lb domestic 2 row
1.0lb roasted barley
1.0lb flaked oats

or

7.5lb domestic 2 row
1.0lb chocolate malt
1.0lb flaked oats

Feel free to throw in your own suggestions too. I made a sweet stout for a friend loosely based on the first grain bill with double the C80 and 1lb lactose. It was so cloyingly sweet, it tasted like chocolate covered dates and raisins.

the first one w/ the chocolate, roasted, and black. i love the complexity these three bring to the table. if it were me id do 1# chocolate and .25lb caramel 120

Sounds like a plan! Maybe I'll bump up the chocolate malt to 1lb so it stands out a little more.

Sounds like a plan! Maybe I'll bump up the chocolate malt to 1lb so it stands out a little more.

thats just my preference. I like a chocolate-forward stout, but if you do not than .5 should be great as well. I really like adding 4oz cocoa nibs to secondary, too, but again i like mine chocolate and roast forward.

Back