Oatmeal Stout Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.....

Does anyone have anything to say about this Oatmeal Stout grain bill? It will be my partial mash and I'll add 4# XLDME to make up the rest and hop in the mid 20s IBUs, no flavor or aroma hops, and mashing high ~156F. I want roasty, but not crazy, a cup of black coffee roasty. I think the 1lb of oats will give a nice creamy texture. Is the roast barley/chocolate enough, yet not too much?

3.5 lb. Maris Otter – PM
0.5 lb. Roasted Barley - PM
0.5 lb. Chocolate Malt – PM
0.5 lb. Crystal 60L – PM
1.0 lb. Flaked Oats.

Looks alot like mine... should serve you well. Doing a step mash for the oatmeal?

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: NO
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: NO
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 29
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 42
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12 @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 @ 65

Brewer: Brewpilot
Beer: Oatmeal Choco Stout
Style: Oatmeal Stout
Type: All grain Size: 5.25 gallons
Color: 129 HCU (~42 SRM)
Bitterness: 29 IBU
OG: 1.062 FG: 1.017
Alcohol: 5.8% v/v (4.5% w/w)
Grain:
7 lb. Maris Otter
2 lb. American 6-row
1 lb. Flaked oats
1 lb. American chocolate
8 oz. American crystal 120L
8 oz. Roasted barley
Mash: 77% efficiency
30 minute mash at 122F
60 minute mash at 153F
15 minute mash out at 168F
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.052 6.25 gallons
Irish moss @ 15 min
Hops: .75 oz. Chinook (11% AA, 60 min.)

uwmgdman said:
3.5 lb. Maris Otter – PM
0.5 lb. Roasted Barley - PM
0.5 lb. Chocolate Malt – PM
0.5 lb. Crystal 60L – PM
1.0 lb. Flaked Oats.
It looks pretty good but I think you will have more of a brown stout instead of black. But I guess I like really roasty.
Craig

CBBaron said:
It looks pretty good but I think you will have more of a brown stout instead of black. But I guess I like really roasty.
Craig

Personally, I'd up the Roasted Barley a little and down the Crystal and Chocolate a little...but that's just me. Maybe go like .65 to .7 Roasted Barley, .4 Crystal and .35 Chocolate. It sounds like it is not a big deal, but I have found that tweaking even fractions of lbs of things like those grains can make a difference.

zoebisch01 said:
Personally, I'd up the Roasted Barley a little and down the Crystal and Chocolate a little...but that's just me. Maybe go like .65 to .7 Roasted Barley, .4 Crystal and .35 Chocolate. It sounds like it is not a big deal, but I have found that tweaking even fractions of lbs of things like those grains can make a difference.

I ended up going with your suggestion, 0.75# roasted barley, 0.5# 60L cystal, and 0.33# chocolate, in addition to the Maris Otter and oats for the partial mash. I tasted it yesterday, 6 days old at racking and was very tasty. I think this one will turn out to be a winner. Thanks!

Back