Oatmeal Stout First Go Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kramberry20

Reaction score
I am on my 4th all grain batch and I have decided to try an Oatmeal Stout. My recipe is as follows:
9# 2 row
8 oz Oats
12 oz Chocolate Malt
12 oz roasted barley
1 oz fuggle hops
and irish ale wyeast

My question is when I am fermenting what temperature should this batch be at for the primary and secondary fermentation. Any suggestions will help as I am still new to all grain brewing and only a year into brewing in general.

Thanks

trigger

Reaction score
What type of mash tun are you using?

I ask because you will probably want to use rice hulls with oats. They are literally the gummiest thing I have ever put in beer.

Personally I would increase the oats to at least 1#, I generally use 1.5# per 5 gal batch to really get that creamy smoothness. Also make sure that they are instant or flaked oats.

What mash temp were you thinking? I mash at 154 for 60 on mine, which is a bit on the dry side, and yours will be even more dry than mine with 0 caramel malts in there.

chickens4life

Reaction score
I second increasing the oats to at least a pound.
For fermentation temps, a steady temp somewhere in the mid sixties would probably be best.

kafkasbug

Reaction score
Use a blow-off tube. My first Oatmeal Stout ended up clogging my airlock and then blowing the lid off my Ale Pale and sending beer 4 feet up the kitchen wall.

frankstoneline

Reaction score
Bump the oats (I'd go at least a pound). I think my sweet spot is at about 14% of the grist. Rice hulls probably isnt necessary, oats are gummy but I've gone as high as 20% without stuck sparges (in a cooler with a false bottom).

Face Eater

I brew beer....
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good but I agree with the others on adding about 1-1.5 pounds of oats. I had a stuck sparge once on an oatmeal stout with 1 pound of oats. Done about 4 others since then with out a problem. The rice hills wouldn't hurt to add but probably not entirely necessary. Also agree with mid to high 60's for fermentation temp.

BigRock947

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've only had 2 stuck sparges and both were Oatmeal Stouts so I would add the rice hulls just as a precaution...it'll save you from a lot of headaches.

slarkin712

Reaction score
More oats. And consider lightly toasting them to get even more oat flavor. I'd ferment below 70F, 68F if you can. Irish ale yeast is a low attenuator so you should get some residual sugars left after fermentation, but I'd probably add a little crystal/caramel malt.

OP
K

kramberry20

Reaction score
Thanks to all, long week of work so just getting around to reading replies. I see the consensus is to add more oats so I think I will bump it up to about 1.5# and see what that gives me. Also I am planning on about 2 wk primary and 2 wk secondary in carboy. Do I even need to worry about putting in carboy or should I just leave in primary for a bit longer? Thanks again

slarkin712

Reaction score