Oatmeal Stout First Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewingboldry

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls,

Ive recently got into all grain brewing, and this will be my first stout. Does my recipe look reasonable, or can any of you see any major flaws? I'm aiming to get an OG of roughly 1060 for a 5-6 gallon batch.

6kg Marris Otter
500g Dark Crystal
500g Roasted Barley
500g Oats (quick oats, lightly toasted in my oven)

42g Northdown 60mins
14g Northdown 25mins

Mash oats with 200g Marris Otter at 120f for 20 minutes
Main mash at 155f for 60 minutes
Batch sparge to boil volume

Nottingham yeast (ferment around 65f ambient)

My equipment and I are still making friends (seems to be changing each brew) so I don't quite know what my efficiency will be like. I have no problem with this beer being stronger than required.

Thankyou for any help in advance.

Hi there,

Pretty good recipe in general, I've brewed stouts with MO and it came to be delicious every time!

42g for 60 minutes looks like a lot to me though, considering you add some more at 25 minutes you're going in IPA territory. Even for a high gravity stout most recipe hover around 20-30 IBUs, while depending on your efficiency you'll find yourself between 40-50 IBUs. You could cut a bit on the bittering addition or maybe push some of that later in the boil. It's hop to you!

IDK if you're planning to do that, but Crystal and Roasted barley being stepping grains, you can try to add them only at the sparge step instead of mashing them with your MO.

Good luck!

Just finished brewing this now. Writing this message as pprocrastination before clean up.

With that I mind I decided to lower my 60 minute Addition down to 35 grams. I'm no style guildine ninja so still being a bit more bitter is ok with me.

Regarding the mash, I thought your idea of ssteeping the specialty grains was a good idea. So I kinda went half half. Put half in he main mash and half in a seperate steep.

Gravity came to 17 brix for 23 litres post boil, but without brewing software I cannot work out the efficiency of my system.

Thanks for the advice. Happy brewing

Back