Oatmeal stout critique/suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourfriendmikem

Reaction score
5 gallon BIAB batch
OG 1.059
FG 1.019
ABV 5.34
IBU 25.3

Grain
5.5 Maris otter
3 flaked oats
1 crystal 60
1 Victory
1 pale chocolate
6.4 oz roasted barley

Hops
1oz fuggles@60
.5oz fuggles @45

Irish ale yeast

Mash 90 min at beersmith temp setting for full body.

I've been brewing for a few months but this will be my first brew without using someone else's recipe. Curious to see what people think Going for full bodied, on the sweet side and more nutty than roasty.

I plan to send 3 gallons as is to my 3 gallon keg and do something weird in the secondary with the remaining beer heading to my 1.5 gallon keg.

Thanks!

Seems like a recipe that would make a solid beer. The only thing that concerns me is that flaked oats make up 25% of the grist, which seems a little high. I would either drop the oats to ~15%, add some 6-row barley malt, or be sure to do a 30 minute rest at 120F before raising to mash temp (beta glucan rest).

Here's a good recipe building reference.

Seems like a recipe that would make a solid beer. The only thing that concerns me is that flaked oats make up 25% of the grist, which seems a little high. I would either drop the oats to ~15%, add some 6-row barley malt, or be sure to do a 30 minute rest at 120F before raising to mash temp (beta glucan rest).

Here's a good recipe building reference.

Maybe I'll dial back the Maris and add maybe .5lb six row. I've been told before that unmalted grains are ok up to 40-50% but better safe than sorry.

Back