Oatmeal stout critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotusworker

Reaction score
I am brewing my second brew and looking for a good oatmeal stout recipe. I looked at most recipes and wanted to do an extract and specialty grains brew because want to get into all grain someday. I am on using a grain bag, 1 for the specialty grain and another for the oatmeal, but am not set on the technique yet. Here is the recipe that I came up with, mostly taken from other recipes that I have found.

Any suggestions on ingredients and/or techniques are welcomed. Not really set on the hops or yeast.

Ingredients:

• 2 oz Black malt (cracked)
• 4 oz Roasted barley (cracked)
• 4 oz Flaked barley
• 10 oz chocolate malt (cracked)
• 12 oz flaked oats (toasted)
• 8 lbs Munton Amber DME
• 1/2 oz Fuggle Hops (60 mins)
• 1/2 tsp. Irish Moss (15 mins)
• 1/2 oz Fuggle Hops (5 mins)

I am thinking of using Sarfale-04 for the yeast because I have an extra one, but not sure if that is the best for it.

I am brewing my second brew and looking for a good oatmeal stout recipe. I looked at most recipes and wanted to do an extract and specialty grains brew because want to get into all grain someday. I am on using a grain bag, 1 for the specialty grain and another for the oatmeal, but am not set on the technique yet. Here is the recipe that I came up with, mostly taken from other recipes that I have found.

Any suggestions on ingredients and/or techniques are welcomed. Not really set on the hops or yeast.

Ingredients:

• 2 oz Black malt (cracked)
• 4 oz Roasted barley (cracked)
• 4 oz Flaked barley
• 10 oz chocolate malt (cracked)
• 12 oz flaked oats (toasted)
• 8 lbs Munton Amber DME
• 1/2 oz Fuggle Hops (60 mins)
• 1/2 tsp. Irish Moss (15 mins)
• 1/2 oz Fuggle Hops (5 mins)

I am thinking of using Sarfale-04 for the yeast because I have an extra one, but not sure if that is the best for it.

You need some base malt (two row) in with the grains, so that the oats will convert. Add about 1.5- 2 pounds two row and you'll be good! You can put all the grains in one bag if you have one big enough, but you can use two if you want.

Use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. Bring the water up to 165 degrees, turn off the heat and add the grain bag(s). Stir well, to thoroughly wet all the grains. Check the temp, it should be between 150-158 and then cover and let sit for 45 minutes to an hour.

While that's going on, bring 2 gallons of water to 170 degrees. After your hour is up, take the grain bag(s) out and dunk them in the water. Or take the grain bags out and keep them in a strainer over the brewpot as you pour the water over the grains.

You should have about 2.5 gallons of water so bring that up to a boil. Add your extract and stir well. Then, bring it up to a boil again and add your first hops starting your timer at 60 minutes. Add your second hops addition when you have 5 minutes left.

Cool to under 80 degrees, put in fermenter and top up to 5 gallons with cool water. Pitch the yeast (and the S04 is fine).

Back