Oatmeal Stout and out of flaked oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainebrew

Reaction score
I need 3 lbs for this 10 gal batch and only have .67lbs can I substitute the quaker oats from the market? Whats your take.

:mug:

If you have a bulk bin at your grocery store, get rolled oats. Quick oats might have salt, which you don't want in your beer.

I stand corrected! Likewise, I don't bother with flaked oats from the LHBS. Bulk bin FTW!

I look at the Quaker Quick Oat container every morning while microwaving my breakfast. :eek:

Wouldn't you have to cereal mash rolled oats? I thought only the quick oats were able to go straight into the MLT.

Wouldn't you have to cereal mash rolled oats? I thought only the quick oats were able to go straight into the MLT.

No, it's my understanding that the rolling is done under heat and pressure, pregelatinizing the starches - pretty much the same stuff as flaked oats. I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice before. :drunk:

So instant and quick rolled oats should be fine but the Old Fashioned Rolled and the Steel Cut Oats need a cereal mash? Just trying to get my facts straight.

For grins, I want to source some Irish Steel Cut Oats and have a Dry and an Irish Oatmeal for next StPat's day.

HowToBrew said:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-2.html

Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash.

Of course Mr. Palmer has been proven wrong in the past. :confused:

A cereal mash won't hurt and it doesn't really take that long. Do it anyway if you're concerned.

All I know is, my LHBS provides ROLLED OATS that can be put directly in the mash.

IIRC rolled and flaked is the same process, I've always wanted to get some flaked barley from the LHBS and try making some oatmeal from it....

Also another ? I have been pondering the idea of pitching this on a cake from the moose drool I did, I think it is s-04 but not sure.

The one time I made an oatmeal stout (I know, not much experience there) I used 2lbs of 100% Natural Old Fashion Oats and got absolutely zero oatmeal characteristics out of it. Im cereal mashing next time.

The one time I made an oatmeal stout (I know, not much experience there) I used 2lbs of 100% Natural Old Fashion Oats and got absolutely zero oatmeal characteristics out of it. Im cereal mashing next time.

Define 'oatmeal characteristics'...it's pretty flavor neutral.

Quaker Oats will not differ from "brewer's" oats at all. Steel cut pin oats add a nice flavor if boiled for 20 minutes. I really second the idea of a cereal mash and s-04. I have made many a good oat stout with s-04, a 6-row, and a cereal mash. The roasted barley clears the excess oat fat/ 6-row protein well and leaves a beautiful head.

If you haven't already brewed, i would recommend toasting your oats in the oven before mashing. It just adds a nice flavor to the beer.

you can sub in the "quick" oats, but my understanding is the instant are not ok. If you use regular oats, you will want to do a cereal mash.

I just made a stout utilizing the glorious quakers oats. 2.2lbs I beleive went into the stout and I am just about to keg it up for tasting. I used S-04 so that the attenuation doesn't go too low. I am working my stout recipe out right now and found that the yeast used makes a huge difference for my mouthfeel. More than the oats do

I just went to the bulk bin and picked up some to see if there is a difference.

Back