Oatmeal and Black Treacle Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, new member. Just thought I would share a recipe I brewed recently that has gone down a storm with everyone. For some magical reason its good to go after one week of conditioning. We have come to the conclusion its down to the residual sweetness from the black treacle just smoothing everything out.

Oatmeal and Black Treacle Stout (20L/35 pints/ 5.2 US Gal)

Water
------
Alkalinity of 90 mg/l as CaCo3

Mash
-------
5kg / 11lb of pale malt (Marris Otter in my case).
500g / 1lb of Oats (Quaker, or other brand).
300g / 10.5 Oz of Light Chocolate malt.
300g / 10.5 Oz of Crystal malt 55L / 120ECB
300g / 10.5 Oz of Roasted Barley.

Boil
----
60 minutes.
@60: 40 IBU of East Kent Goldings.
@10: 400g / 14 Oz of Black Treacle (Lyle's in my case)

Ferment
----------
Danstar Nottingham @ 20c / 68f for12-14 days.

Looks solid! I've heard treacle differs in flavor from molasses but I've never tasted side by side.
I'll add it to the list! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, ive heard the same. I understand its not too common stateside? Its one of those items here in the UK that is just a supermarket staple. A 450g tin is just over £1 when I got it for this.

I've not tried molasses so cannot compare either but black treacle has a sweet real licorice like taste if that helps. Its quite powerful.

Just for the hell of it I brewed up a batch of this 10 days ago?

I have twenty litres in the fermenter with an OG of 1.066 and currently at 1.02

What were the readings in the original batch?

I'm wondering if I should have added a little more water?

TB:tank:

Unfortunately I was using paper records then (I created a lovely google drive sheet a few brews after this) Anyway long story short I have very little info on this now bar the above. Sorry :(

On the positive side my memory is better then my record keeping.

I remember the SG was around 1.080 (In the FV) and the FG was quite high at 1.024. I remember it well as it was so unusually high for my beers but then I never normally get above 1.060 SG.

Hops this helps

Nick

Treacle must be quite different from molassas, using dark brown sugar left a bite that took FOREVER to age out.

Mash
-------
5kg / 11lb of pale malt (Marris Otter in my case).
500g / 1lb of Oats (Quaker, or other brand).
300g / 10.5 Oz of Light Chocolate malt.
300g / 10.5 Oz of Crystal malt 55L / 120ECB
300g / 10.5 Oz of Roasted Barley.

How dark was the roasted barley?

Back