Oat/Rye/Wheat malt vs flaked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I have really started getting on this oat/rye kick and I realized that a some places dont have much in the line of Oat or Rye Malt, they only have flaked Oat or Rye.

So I am curious how everyone here deals/plays with those kind of changes.

Example, say I am making an oatmeal stout

8.5 lbs 2row
2.5 lbs oat malt
.75 lbs chocolate malt
.50 lbs Crystal 80
.50 lbs flaked Oat
.325lbs Black Barley

If only Flaked Oat is available, how should I change the recipe? I don't imagine just replacing the oat malt with equal amounts of flaked oat would really work would it? Just add 3lbs of flaked oat instead of 2.5 malt and .5 flaked?

Since the flaked and raw oat/rye lack the ability to convert the carbohydrates into fermentable sugars, I assume I would have to down the oat and increase two-row. I am more worried about the difference in taste, if there is any.

Just curious on how everyone else handles these kind of issues.

The pale malt in that recipe will still have enough excess enzymes to handle the switch from malt to flaked oats, so no worries there. Flaked oats will add more body than the malted oats, so you could back it down for that reason. Neither sort of oats has an especially distinct flavor, so I wouldn't worry about the change much. I tried a beer a friend brewed with 33% oat malt, and it didn't has a distinct "oat" flavor.

I find rye malt to have more flavor than flaked rye, but it again doesn't have the same ability to thicken a beer. I really like flaked rye in big dark beers to add body without the sweetness you get from adding body with a high mash temp or crystal malt.

I would increase the flaked oats to 1# and the 2row to 10.5#. Much more flaked will take it out of usual stout range in mouthfeel (which would be fine if that's what you wanted) and leave a higher finishing gravity. Oat malt is a base malt, so I'd replace most of it with 2row pale malt.

It will be different, but unless you've used oat malt before, you won't know the difference. I've always gotten noticeable nice oat malt flavor starting at 20%.

i think but im not sure....you get more flavor from flaked rye but not as much gravity points when using malted

Back