Oat flakes or quick oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a basic BIAB with oats and 2-row base malt. Can I use regular store bought quick oats, or do I have to trudge back to the homebrew store and get oat flakes?

I heard there's a risk the quick oats can turn quickly into cement like glue, and that at the very least my mash time may be reduced because the quick oats can't stand up to a 60 min mash. Can anyone advise?

I use grocery store oats. Never a problem.

I'm assuming you're not using 70% oats...

No, the oats are about 8% of the total. I'm combining 0.7 lbs oats with 1.1 lbs 2-row for a partial mash, then adding 6.6 lbs DME to the wort.

Are you using regular store oats or the thinly rolled 'quick' oats? I'm wondering if that could make a difference...

You need to use quick oats, they are pre gelatanized..IE pre converted. If you buy regular oats you will need to do a cereal mash.

Use quick oats 1 for 1 with flaked oats and you'll be in good shape. Much easier than a cereal mash.

You need to use quick oats, they are pre gelatanized..IE pre converted. If you buy regular oats you will need to do a cereal mash.

Use quick oats 1 for 1 with flaked oats and you'll be in good shape. Much easier than a cereal mash.

Can I just use the quick oats or do i need a 1:1 ratio with flaked oats as you suggest?

I use rolled oats, because I always have them in the house. Rolled oats are gelatinized. As part of the processing they are steamed and then rolled. The only difference between rolled and quick is that quick are cut up into smaller pieces.

Here it is from BYO.

There are a few different kinds of oats available to the homebrewer. With flaked oats, also called rolled oats, the gelatinization is done by the manufacturer. This is done by softening the oats with steam and then passing them through heated pressure rollers into flakes. The grain husks are removed when the oats are rolled, and in this process the flake thickness can be controlled. The heat and pressure gelatinize the starches, and these grains can be added to the mash directly. The brewer does not need to cook these prior to mashing.

No, the oats are about 8% of the total. I'm combining 0.7 lbs oats with 1.1 lbs 2-row for a partial mash, then adding 6.6 lbs DME to the wort.

Are you using regular store oats or the thinly rolled 'quick' oats? I'm wondering if that could make a difference...

8%? Actually you are mashing closer to 40% of adjunct: 0.7/1.8.

I doubt your mash will get "stuck," though, on such a low amount of grains.

8%? Actually you are mashing closer to 40% of adjunct: 0.7/1.8.

I doubt your mash will get "stuck," though, on such a low amount of grains.

I included the DME in with my percentage calculation. Sorry, I'm new to this... I'm guessing i should limit percentages to to mashing grains only?

In my several experiences with oats (I use quick oats) using around 10% oats I have had difficulty sparging. It's not impossible but it made it more difficult, I had to stir a lot and mess with the mash to complete the sparge. With almost half oats you will be trying to sparge oatmeal. I would add some rice hulls for sure to help you out.

It's two pounds of grain in a bag. There is _nothing_ to worry about here.

I use a pound of oats and 40-55 percent flaked wheat in my wits and rarely experience even a slow runoff with my cooler/false bottom mash tun. I haven't mentioned that until now because it's also irrelevant to OP's situation.

With BIAB you're not getting the water out of the grains, you're taking the grains out of the water. The worst thing that could happen would be under conversion, which won't even matter that much considering the high level of extract in the recipe.

There are plenty of things to worry about when making beer. This isn't one of them.

Yes correct I wasn't thinking about the BIAB. The only problem you have to worry about is efficiency of your mash.

Back