Oaking An American Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultrazord

Reaction score
Greetings all. I recently purchased the American amber ale kit from Northern Brewer. It's been fermenting about a week. I was planning on letting it go 2 weeks, then oaking it for 5-7 days and then bottling.

I was told this style is more like a red ale and oaking will not be the wisest decision. Anyone have opinions on the style or has anyone done the kit and have an opinion? I want to experiment but if it will not end up that great oaked, I'll just let it age 3 weeks and bottle. Thanks.

Oak is good. And I actually really like it with ambers.

You could make an oak tea and add it halfway or 3/4 of the way through bottling. That way not all of 'em have it and you can taste side by side.

EDIT: For the oak tea, just bring some water a boil when you do your priming sugar. Remove it from heat, add ~1oz oak chips and steep until you're ready to add. Add to taste...it is possible (and easy) to over-oak. Woodchip beer is not good.

You could also rack half to a secondary and oak it and bottle the other half and do a side by side.

If you opt to do this be sure you do not leave too much head space in the secondary that could cause oxidation. You can also soak the oak chips in bourbon for several weeks and then oak. I did this with an IPA and it turned out great but changed the style to an Old Ale

You could also rack half to a secondary and oak it and bottle the other half and do a side by side.

If you opt to do this be sure you do not leave too much head space in the secondary that could cause oxidation. You can also soak the oak chips in bourbon for several weeks and then oak. I did this with an IPA and it turned out great but changed the style to an Old Ale

I was thinking to possibly rack to two 1 gallon jugs and do a heavy oak in 1, light oak in another, and then just bottle the remaining 3 gallons. Any other secondary would be a 6 gallon + container and not work.

Ultrazord said:
I was thinking to possibly rack to two 1 gallon jugs and do a heavy oak in 1, light oak in another, and then just bottle the remaining 3 gallons. Any other secondary would be a 6 gallon + container and not work.

That sounds like a great plan! Cheers!

Would it be possible to say soak the oak chips in an amount of whiskey, for like a week. Transfer the 5 gallons to bottling bucket, bottle 3 gallons or so, add the oaked whiskey to the remaining 2 gallons, and finish bottling?

If you oak this beer it will be a dominant flavor, perhaps to the point of being unbalanced. I wouldn't do it, but if you do I think you should bottles some with and without the oak. Hopefully I am wrong, good luck with the beer!

Back