Oakes foreign extra stout.... Really smokey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakelyc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks:

Back in the summer I brewed a foreign extra stout. I racked off 1 gallon onto one ounce of Hungarian oak, medium toast, that had been soaking in an aged rum (Ron zacapa). I let this sit for 9 days, at which point the oak character was present but not overpowering. I have never used oak before, so at day 12 I bottled it.

It has been sitting undisturbed since the beginning of September. I chilled one and tasted it tonight..... It was very, very smokey in an almost ash-like way. Very muddled and inelegant. That flavor was not there at bottling.

My question is this: is this just a phase? I know that Oaked beers have a life cycle, but I don't know if this is a normal part of it. Do Oaked beer have a smokiness when they are young?

I guesss I will just put these down for a while longer.....

Heya, sorry for the delay. There's been a hurricane happening.

Anyways, I don't have the whole grain bill handy, but it was the FES recipe from Brewing Classic Styles, straight-up with no modifications. DME, some roasted malt, chocolate malt, crystal of some sort. Nothing that would lend such a significant smoky note. I mean, it tasted like a campfire smells.

Fermentation was relatively normal, if a bit vigorous. Probably ran at 68-70 with Wyeast 1333. One of the tasters thought he detected a faint bubblegum on the end. I didn't pick it up, neither did anyone else. I may have been distracted by my shock at the smoke.

When I looked at my notes afterward, I did recall that the fermentation was vigorous enough for a blowoff tube and it actually blew off through the tube. So I suppose the internal temperature could have crept up a hair.

Anyways, I'm at a loss.... nothing seems so far awry as to cause any of these issues.

What was the toast on the oak chips? Other than that it sounds like the grain bill is OK. Perhaps your LHBS had a mislabeled bin? (Happened to me once. I ended up with 12 lbs of crystal 20 instead of 12 lbs of Maris Otter).

Only one gallon of this batch sat on oak, and the plain variation with no secondary doesn't have any of the same flavor, so I don't think it was mislabeled. Oak was medium toast Hungarian. I am not sure what that's supposed to look like, but it didn't seem over-toasted.

I will probably just chalk It up to a phase and try one again in a month or so.

Sounds like the oak. I have never used Hungarian oak so that wouldn't surprise me. I say brew again and blend my friend!

Latest posts

Back