Oaked Petite Saison D'Ete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
I made the Northern Brewer Petite Saison D'Ete recipe on 7/2, modifying it slightly by adding in the zest of one orange, zest of one grapefruit, and 4 peppercorns with 10 minutes left in the boil. Also switched the hops around using 1/2 oz Chinook at 60, 1/2 oz Simcoe at 10, and 1/2 oz Amarillo at flameout. I put the zests and peppercorns in a nylon bag with the Amarillo so they were only in until I transferred to primary. Pitched a starter of 3711 on 7/3. Fermented at basement temp of 72-74 and just let it go. Checked the OG today and it's at 1.005, tastes great.

I've had a couple oaked saisons, Goose Island Sofie (a special version) being one where it was oaked in chardonnay barrels. I wanted to get some oak flavor in here so tonight I racked to secondary and added two ounces of medium toast French Oak chips that i soaked in Chardonnay over the weekend. Plan on leaving it in secondary on oak for 3 weeks and then starting to taste.

Question: Would soaking the oak in chardonnay for only 4 days impart any of the wine flavor?

Question: I didn't sanitize the oak chips... other than soaking in wine but that probably didn't do anything. I got the chips from the LHBS, they were not just BBQ smoke chips or something like that. Am I taking a big risk not steaming or boiling these first? We will see I guess...

Question: Would soaking the oak in chardonnay for only 4 days impart any of the wine flavor?

Question: I didn't sanitize the oak chips... other than soaking in wine but that probably didn't do anything. I got the chips from the LHBS, they were not just BBQ smoke chips or something like that. Am I taking a big risk not steaming or boiling these first? We will see I guess...

The amount of chardonnay you are talking about is way too small to give much of anything to the flavor profile of the beer. Plus I don't think there is enough alcohol content in the wine to sanitize the oak. Use a cheap vodka as it is very neutral and i will only slightly bump your abv. I have also used a steam basket to steam oak cubes (10 min) prior to adding in secondary.

Magic8Ball said:
The amount of chardonnay you are talking about is way too small to give much of anything to the flavor profile of the beer. Plus I don't think there is enough alcohol content in the wine to sanitize the oak. Use a cheap vodka as it is very neutral and i will only slightly bump your abv. I have also used a steam basket to steam oak cubes (10 min) prior to adding in secondary.

That's what I thought but the chips are already in secondary. Chance of infection?

That's what I thought but the chips are already in secondary. Chance of infection?

Yes, but that can be a good thing too. You could rack off/ pull the chips, but where is the fun in that? Besides its probably too late if there was some nasties on the chips. IMO I'd just roll with it, chalk it up as adventures in homebrewing.

Good Luck and Prost, M8B

Magic8Ball said:
Yes, but that can be a good thing too. You could rack off/ pull the chips, but where is the fun in that? Besides its probably too late if there was some nasties on the chips. IMO I'd just roll with it, chalk it up as adventures in homebrewing.

Good Luck and Prost, M8B

That's what I'm thinking. I've not had to dump a batch yet for infection. I'm thinking I will be fine.

Back