Oak toast suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahoePowderHound

Reaction score
I am a long time cider/beer/mead brewer finally doing my first wine. I purchased 150 lbs of Zinfandel from a vineyard with 100 year old vines as part of a group buy. I’m still punching caps for the next few days, and doing a concurrent/simaltaneous malolactic fermentation. Does anyone have any suggestions for oak? I plan to use cubes but would love any suggestions as far as American/French, roasts or blends etc. And what ratio of oak per gallon do you like? Thanks in advance!

This is where your specific take on your wine can really shine and be unique. The question is: what do you like in YOUR wine? American oak offers more tannin and vanilla, when medium toasted. French oak could be a nice option for depth and finish.

Cubes are better than chips which are better than granular oak, but absolutely nothing is better than a barrel. This is because oak chunks in sitting at the bottom of a glass carboy only will impart an oak flavor but can never substitute for the micro-oxidation that occurs with the wine breathing through barrel wood.

With your 150# of grapes (about 10 gallons of wine), I'd suggest you buy a 5 gallon barrel of your choice and rotate the wine into it over the next year. You will be absolutely amazed at the wine you make.

This is where your specific take on your wine can really shine and be unique. The question is: what do you like in YOUR wine? American oak offers more tannin and vanilla, when medium toasted. French oak could be a nice option for depth and finish.

Cubes are better than chips which are better than granular oak, but absolutely nothing is better than a barrel. This is because oak chunks in sitting at the bottom of a glass carboy only will impart an oak flavor but can never substitute for the micro-oxidation that occurs with the wine breathing through barrel wood.

With your 150# of grapes (about 10 gallons of wine), I'd suggest you buy a 5 gallon barrel of your choice and rotate the wine into it over the next year. You will be absolutely amazed at the wine you make.
Awesome, thanks jg!

Back