Oak Molasses Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosivebeer

Reaction score
I just came across an oak barrel that's previously been used for molasses. The guy said he cleaned it very well with "hot hot water". I'm just curious what other sanitation steps I'd have to take to be able to use it for long-term aging. Does anyone have any experience with real oak barrels? And does the fact that it was previously used for honey as opposed to bourbon or wine change anything? Thanks for the info!

Very hot water can warp the staves or create leaks, so check the barrel before buying it. You could fill the barrel with cold water and pottasium or sodium metabisulphite, you can get it at any homebrew store, let it sit for 24 hours then drain the barrel and fill it with beer.

Iordz said:
Very hot water can warp the staves or create leaks, so check the barrel before buying it. You could fill the barrel with cold water and pottasium or sodium metabisulphite, you can get it at any homebrew store, let it sit for 24 hours then drain the barrel and fill it with beer.

Thanks for the great info. This sounds like a fun thing to experiment with.

Back