oak in secondary

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Surfman

Reaction score
i just brewed my first stout and decided to condition it over oak chips in the secondary, has anyone tried this with a stout, if so what were the results??:mug:

brewt00l

Reaction score
Oaked Stout? You could grab a bottle of Oak Aged Yeti from Great Divide if you want to try a commercial example.

Saint Arnould

Reaction score
how much oak are you all doing for a five gallon batch? And how long? I am brewing a DFH Midas Touch Clone (Malt, Grape juice, honey, and saffron!!!!) and thought some oaking could further blur the lines between beer/wine/mead......

Saint Arnould

Reaction score
Sweet! and does two weeks in the secondary sound about right? I am not gonna drink this stuff for months, so it should mellow out.....

OP
S

Surfman

Reaction score
hey saint i actually used 2 oz, i checked my recipe, but from what i read you can use more, i just wasnt sure how it would turn out so i went conservative this time. I gonna leave it in secondary for about 2 weeks

c.n.budz

Reaction score
Stouts can handle oak very nicely. In the future you may want to try oak cubes. They're more consistent, flavor strength wise, than chips due to the cubes all having the same surface area.

Latest posts